Was this Sans correctly labeled?

webkat5(Z6a MO)March 6, 2007

Hi all!

I just picked up this baby Sans at a local nursery...

The google pics are inconclusive...

Can you tell me if this is S. suffruticosa?

Thanks!

Â

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

It's really too young to tell. Perhaps wait until Sept. by then it should have more growth, Is that in a 4" pot. It looks like it, but then I have seen 6" pots that look like that as well. The picture is excellent, I sure like it with a top dressing, the plant really stands out. Mine is in flower at this time. I don't have any young offsets at this time, to compare it. Norma

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 12:52AM
webkat5(Z6a MO)

I believe it is a 4 inch pot...the plant is quite small.

On Arid Lands website they have one that they call Sansevieria ballyi...looks quite a bit like this one...link below for comparison.

I guess only time will tell?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria ballyi

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 2:52AM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

Ballyi # 12681 leaves can get as long as 6" after a while. It is now called "Minnie" by Juan Chahinian. There are several species, var. forms of this plants which are all slightly different. From the picture I can't tell which one you have. If it is a suffruitcosa there are also several forms of these as well. S. humbertiana, S. caulescens S. phillipsiae syn. hargesia or hurgeisiana, then there is S. Bella with it's four forms
There sevearal that I must have missed, all of these Ssansevieria have stolens above the ground, make excellent basket plants, if you don't mind having your eye put out. They are simliar but not the same. Many Sansevieria start out as rosettes, then grow to a juvenile stage, with leaves growing longer as they mature.
EXAMPLE: San. fisherii . Norma

Norma

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
plantnut2011
What a difference a little heat makes
just thought I'd share this. In cool, gloomy Oregon,...
kwie2011
What's wrong with my snake plant?
I've been excited to have a snake plant for a while...
Galleriagirl11
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™