What might I get from 'Cerro Potosi' seedlings?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)April 17, 2008

I collected seeds from my Salvia 'Cerro Potosi' plant last summer and now have 20+ seedlings. I don't know what color the species would be so I'm wondering if they'll all be about the same color or will vary a lot from the mama plant.

Also - Does anyone know if they're fast growing and will likely bloom the first year?

I'm down to just 9 Darcyi seedlings now. The number keeps dwindling for various reasons. It seems I always worry where I'm going to put them all when I grow plants from seed but by the time I plant them out, it's easy to find room. lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

Christie:
I have only one seedling that has appeared in my garden
from Cerro Potasi.The seedling is very different the parent.
the other parent was S.greggii "plum wine" it has smaller flowers and foliage like "plum wine" but the flower color is like Cerro Potasi. I have name it Salvia "Plum Crazy"
so as to keep with the parentage.The other thing you need to know is I have S. greggii directly on the other side of our sidewalk. I also have S.x Red Velvet seelings plus several other forms mixed in.Depenting on what other Salvia's you have they will bring in other genetics too.Your parent plants will influence that. I would also like to trade some seed and cuttings if your are interested. My e-mail is arthur.petley@sbcglobal.net I live in Austin Texas so some of my lower altitude Salvia's may not do as well in your environment. Have fun anyway you never know what nature will throw your way!!

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 10:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

The closest other salvias would've been guarantica (one each of Black and Blue, the plain species, and Argentine Skies) about 10 or 12 feet away and some greggis about 20 feet away (Stampede Salmon, Navajo Rose, and Skylights Magenta. I didn't intentionally try to pollinate it with anything but you never know. I'd be happy to trade. I will send you an email. Thanks

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
California Native Sage Festival--March 28, 2015
At Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, Ca....
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
salvia discolor
I have been able to overwinter my salvia discolor in...
duane456
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Sponsored Products
Quoizel Kolt 21" Wide Chrome and Glass Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Mia Bronze One-Light Bath Fixture with Ceylon Glass
$198.00 | Bellacor
Comfortex Envision Panel Track: SheerWeave 5000 (3% Openness)
Blindsgalore
Accent Rug: Angelo:HOME Cobble Stone 2' x 3'
$72.97 | Home Depot
Green Plaid Can Sleeve - Set of Two
$8.99 | zulily
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1 Light Outdoor Lantern Rustic Sienna Finish Clear Se
$47.90 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Round Belly Baskets – Set of 2
Serena & Lily
8'x10' Silver Wash Khotan Hand Knotted Oriental Rug 100 Percent Wool Sh20446
1800 Get A Rug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™