Salvia identication help

astresing(Zone 8)April 13, 2013

This plant showed up in my garden. It looked interesting, so I decided to see if it would bloom in the hopes I could ID it. The flowers are very light purple with an interesting pattern on them. The stems are square. The plants are under a foot tall. Let me know what other info is needed. Anyone recognize it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I think it is Germander (Wood-sage) Teucrium canadense. This is a widespread and variable North American species. If not that species, it is very definitely a Teucrium, since it has only the lowest lobe with any size to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Germander (Wood-sage)

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 8:20PM
astresing(Zone 8)

Thank you. My wild volunteer isn't quite as showy, but I think you're right. Appreciate the help.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 8:49PM
danita

It looks like Florida Betony (Stachys floridana) to me. If you are in Florida or the more coastal/warmer parts of the Southeastern US it is very likely. If so, it is said to be extremely invasive and hard to control so you may want to do some research. If you carefully dig up a plant and find a tuber that looks like a white grub or a white rattlesnake tail, then you have Stachys floridana.

I had some of the tubers hitchhike with some Crinums that I transplanted from south Georgia. Luckily, I found the tubers and got an I.D. before unleashing it in my yard.

I hope that helps even if it's not the happiest of news.
:)

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:59PM
astresing(Zone 8)

Yep, it does have those underground tubers. I'll see if I can remove it today before it spreads much further. It's in loose dirt, so i should be able to get it out. It's too bad it's so invasive. I'm fighting a trumpet vine right now, so I'm not in the mood for any more invasive plants. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:58AM
danita

Yes, it is too bad that it's so invasive as it's a rather cute plant. The tubers are said to be edible and rather tasty too but I've never tried them.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™