Plant sources near Charleston, SC

gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)July 27, 2004

I am looking for quality retail and wholesale sources of plant material (particularly trees, shrubs, and native plants) within the south Charleston area. My client would probably not mind driving up to 1 hour from Edisto Island, though.

So, who are the growers you recommend?

Thanks,

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blooming_annie(z 8/9, Chas, SC)

The retail places that I frequent are Hyam's on James Island (a great place), Cross Seed in West Ashley, Abideawhile in Mt. Pleasant. A couple of places on Johns Island worth checking into are Beauty Unlimited and Brownswood Nursery.

The two wholesale places that come to mind are north of Charleston. Parson's Nursery is near Georgetown and Carolina (I think that is the name) is near Goose Creek or Monck's Corner of somewhere out that way. There are probably places closer to Edisto but I don't know about them. You also might want to check in the Savannah area as that isn't very far from Edisto either.

Good luck.

Bookmark   July 29, 2004 at 9:58AM
Datawgal(8/9 SC)

Hyams, Cross and Abide-a-While are my favorites also.
In addition, isn't there a wholesale tree farm around Adams Run? I can't think of the name of the place but it is only minutes from 17.
And, there is a place just past the John's Island Airport on River Road. Don't know the name of that one either but I believe they sell wholesale and retail.
There is also a new retail place called Grassroots on
Dobbin Road, south of Charleston. You can see the place from 17. It is about 1/3 mile north of the USDA complex.
Don't miss Pete's Herbs on Johns Island, they grow lots more than herbs. They are closed for the summer but will re-open in the fall - which, by the way, is the best time to plant anything in this area.

Bookmark   July 29, 2004 at 10:41AM
CaseysMom

I think it is Legares on Johns Island.

I second Brownswood Road Nursery for your clients. Although Hyams is nice, but also VERY pricey!

Bookmark   July 29, 2004 at 11:44PM
CaseysMom

Just curious~ Did your client find a suitable nursery?
I'd love to know which one was best for the recomended plant material. I presume you did the design?

Bookmark   November 7, 2004 at 5:11PM
alteredstate(8b Coastal SC)

Brownswood Nursery, Cross Seed, Legare Farms and Pete's Plants are my favorites.

Bookmark   November 8, 2004 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Where are you? NC
I found a very old thread with this subject and being...
mynxr
Pensacola info needed???
Someone who lives in Pensacola. I will be visiting...
Brandi_AL
Growing Pecan Trees
We are interested in planting two pecan trees. I've...
kathy_fl_panhandle
Damaged Korean Stewartia
We had torrential heavy rain here awhile back and our...
ncstockguy
Liriope Diseases
Does anyone else have a problem with their liriopes...
kathleen_mcclellan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™