Salvias in pots don't rebloom

SiriElizabethApril 2, 2011

hi there,

the salvias i buy at summerwinds never rebloom on my balcony in their pots. i have a couple of hours of full sun then it's dappled shade. is that enough sun? some of them are marked for some shade too. also, i potted them with summerwinds soil and never fertilized. i water them when the top of the soil feels dry.

thanks!

siri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

SiriElizabeth:
What Salvias did you purchase?
You will need to fertilize your plants as the nutrients will leach out of the soil very quickly.
I will wait for your reply as to the Salvias you purchased.
Thanks
Art

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 10:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Where in the Bay area and the elevation may have an effect, based on how long it takes for fog to break up and temperatures to rise.

Cool nights with bright sun and day temps of around 70 - 80 degrees give the best flowering results. Dappled shade isn't the problem, I think.

Do the plants use water quickly? This might be a sign the plants are rootbound. Plants that are mildly rootbound are more likely to bloom, unless they are stressed. A lot of nitrogen would result in a lot of green growth with little bloom. Humusy soils will give very robust plants

The other factor is day length. Many sages are short day bloomers. The blooming in these sages can be controlled by daytime maximums. Too hot, no bloom. Long day bloomers like S. miniata will bloom over a pretty good temperature range.

Have you had a chance to visit Cabrillo College, Strybing in Golden GAte Park, or the UC Berkeley BG in Strawberry Canyon?

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
Salvia Madrensis dormancy
I purchased two gallon pots at a plant sale this fall,...
fairfield8619
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™