Salvia lyrata

Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)April 26, 2011

One of my neighbors found a patch of interesting plants in our former lake (now dry) bed, some of which he dug up, potted and added to his backyard container garden. He asked me to identify them. At about the same time a friend gave me a Salvia 'Volcano' plant which I determined is a form of S. lyrata. When my neighbor's and my plants started to bloom this week, I realized that they were the same except for their leaf color. Ironically, I had also just planted some seed of S. lyrata that I had got from Brent. Since this is a Salvia that is native to the our area (North Carolina), I started wondering whether it could be crossed with any other Salvias and / or if any work had been done to improve it. The dark coloration of the veins of the leaves suggest that it has the potential of being developed for its foliage like Tiarellas, for example.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

I have not seen any hybrids in the trade.
Just different forms.
Art

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 6:43PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Hybridization is possible, but likely with other related sages mostly from Texas and Africa.

What other sages do you have that might have crossed with it?

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 11:54PM
Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)

Rich, I just discovered S. lyrata and I was considering trying to cross it with a red flowered S. coccinea. I also have a couple of S. argentea about to bloom. Could they be crossed with lyrata?

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 12:35AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

S. lyrata is more likely to cross with S. African sages like S. muirii and S. scabra, not so much but still possible with those you mention. Maybe 3 to 10 seeds form out of 100 for the remotely related ones.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 11:42PM
edlincoln(6A)

It seems since your original post some have been developed. "Purple Knockout" is available from American Beauties, supposedly.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
S. clevelandii - Some leaves longer than others
I got a Salvia clevelandii (possibly a hybrid) about...
JohnCox
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™