'Rain Garden' Ideas...Help

savannahana(8)July 28, 2008

I will begin by saying that I am definately a novice at this whole gardening thing. I am finding that I really enjoy it but I am still learning! Now with that being said... :) I have a big problem of heavy run-off from three spots on my roof that flood and erode parts of my front flower beds. I just bought three large resin pots to put under the problem spots. My fiance thinks that we should just leave the pots empty and put some drainage holes in the pots to allow them to collect and slowly disperse the water. Personally, I think that sounds a little bland. I was looking at the "sky pencils" on line today. My thought is to plant those in the pots and then maybe put some smooth rocks on top to prevent soil erosion. Does anyone have any experience with these plants in such a manner or any other suggested plants that I can try?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ashef(coastal NC z8)

You need to make a rain garden and move your current flower beds away from the roof runoff areas. A few pots -- or even a lot of pots -- can't effectively deal with roof runoff, expecially from the kind of storms & heavy rains we get on the coast. The longer you delay, the more erosion and related problems you'll have. I live near Wilmington NC and rain gardens are really catching on here. Fortunately, they are simple to make!

Here is a link that might be useful: instructions for making a rain garden

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toscgwsndiqz

a Rain chain may help

Here is a link that might be useful: rain chain

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Hours, you need help
Houzz, do you need help. Maybe someone who Can read...
josephene_gw
How to grow English Lavender in Southeast Georgia
I have a lavender plant, and it is not growing that...
liljekonvall
watermelon
this is the first time i have ever grown watermelons....
rsa52
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
Peach Thieves
we have a peach thief problem. Last year when our dwarf...
rem1061
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™