Transplanting / Dividing Perennial Salvia

krahnMay 3, 2006

I have just attempted to divide and transplant what I believe to be Perennial Blue Salvia. The shoots are approximately 12 inches long and since I dug them out to transplant them 3 days ago,most of the shoots are drooping or wilting. Should these perk up or is there something I could / should do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

Have you given them water AND shade until they recover? You also might need to prune them back a bit.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 6:50PM
krahn

They've had plenty of water and shade the first couple of days after transplanting because we've had rain and little sunshine. They do seem to be looking a little better today. The next day or so is supposed to be sunny so do I need to shade them somehow? Does it matter how far I prune them back?

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 11:57PM
paulacat(Z8 Coastal SC)

My gardening buddy has pulled up lots of black&blue sage, bog sage and other perennials over the years to share with me. I find that maximum survival rate is obtained by potting the plants (not individually;I just gather bunches of stalks of the same kind)and setting them in the shade and keeping them watered for maybe a week. By that time, they've recovered from the shock and are all perked up. You can then separate them or leave them in bunches and plant them in the garden.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Salvia Madrensis dormancy
I purchased two gallon pots at a plant sale this fall,...
fairfield8619
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™