Salvia Greggii not getting any new growth yet.

davesselsMay 16, 2014

I have Salvia "Heat Wave" Glitter and Greggii Red Sage that I planted last year.. I haven't seen any new growth on them yet.. I bought one of each, new this year and planted them in April and the Pink Glitter, is already blooming.. Do you think I have lost the two I planted last year? Or do I just need to be patient? Last year was the first year I planted Salvia, I did not realize they would be so late coming up.
Debra

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I suspect they're gone...it was a hard winter.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 6:58PM
melvalena

I lost one that I've had in ground for 5 years now. Actually the whole thing didn't die..but most of it did. What little was left took forever to leaf out. It was that last freeze we had..after I had cut most things back already. Even roses were severely damaged.
I finally just ripped it out and brought another over that has been in too much shade for too long.

I've never lost one before. :( Lucky for us they are easy to find and don't cost an arm and a leg to replace.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 7:07PM
davessels

dbarron, I suspect you are right, I guess I need to get some replacements. Thanks
Debra

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 7:22PM
violetwest

My salvia Greggi (cherry sage) I planted in fall survived the winter and is blooming like crazy. So, perhaps, yours is gone.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 7:25PM
Toopie

had a beautiful salvia bush last year, this year nothing is coming up...is it dead? I live in the Adk Mtns

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 6:28PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Um, is Adk = Adirondack? It really helps with advice if both petitioners and advice givers give more details, like locations and USDA zones. Soil types and drainage ifo is also useful.

I just did a quick tour of the J C Raulston Arboretum's Salvia collection, and most of their sages made it. Exceptions were Cherry Chief (last year, it was a bit sparse from old age and needed replacement, anyway), S. chionophylla, S. microphylla deltoid-leaved, and S. mexicana Limelight. I would have expected these to die off anyway. Greggii survivors include: Grace Pink, Red Letter, Viva, Diane, Dark Dancer, Pink Preference, Teresa, Flame, and Lipstick. Both S. regla Jame (Coahuila) and the Huntington BG form are healthy.

And the S. microphylla San Carlos Festival was huge and lush.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen77
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™