Photo of Texas Star Hibiscus

Randy RitchieAugust 31, 2004

Thanks to Luchina, I have this lovely bloom this morning. The Texas Star Hibiscus is gorgous, and they are so easy. Best of all, they seem to be pest-free and heat-loving. I think I will have to grow more of the hibiscus family. :-)

girlsaylor

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brass_tacks(8b/GA)

That's some looker!
Pat

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 4:37PM
curdog007

Have you seen the white version of the Texas Star? It's just as pretty as the red.

Bookmark   September 17, 2004 at 7:45PM
BarbC(8 coastal SC)

The white one is incorrectly ID'ed as a Texas Star - its has a different name. Similar leaves, though.

Bookmark   September 18, 2004 at 6:01AM
curdog007

BarbC-What's the I.D. of the white one?
Lynn

Bookmark   September 25, 2004 at 10:13PM
charlenemann34(z7 VA)

My daughter in Seabrook, TX, sent me seeds for Texas Star Hibiscus. I planted them inside and transplanted two in the Spring. They grew a little but not really impressive. Then here in Virginia we had a lot of snow and ice. One died and the other made it through and is blooming it's head off. The humming birds love it! I was teased because it looks like a "grass" plant and they thought I'd be arrested but now they're impressed with the showey blooms.

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 7:14AM
garden_gossiper(z5 NH)

Thanks for that beautiful photo of the Texas Star. I bought a hardy hibiscus last year but it had no name. Now it does. Wasn't sure it was the same one- didn't know it was hardy to NH 'cause of the name. It's a beauty, that's for sure. Real late bloomer here. Just flowered today 9/24. Been waiting all summer and it's sure worth the wait. Jan

Bookmark   September 24, 2005 at 4:46PM
molarry

i recommend you think about staking them, I lost one last year in a wind storm. Kept last years seed pods and now have about 40 of them in 4" pots about 3" tall. Very lovely plants.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 2:14PM
wally_1936(8b)

Love the bloom, my two are of a different color as well as pedal shapes. Lost my white one which I see listed as Texas Star Hibiscus also. It isn't even a Texas but Florida and Louisiana native, I believe we were the ones who gave its name. I know plants are ID'ed by root, stem, leaf, bloom and seeds and I can't see any difference so I will continue to call them all Texas Star Hibiscus. The thing I enjoy is the beauty of the plant for me it takes over 2 years before they become large enough to really produce a lot of blooms. Here they can get quite large over 10-15 foot tall. I expect to start many more in the next few years. Right now I have more seeds than I have any use for but then I guess I will have to try to find homes for them. So far my neighbors only enjoy them when I have gotten them large enough to move them to their homes.
Paul

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 12:06PM
Leon765

I have a white & a red texas star hibiscus and have collected the pods that have fallen off. how do i get the seeds.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Growing Pecan Trees
We are interested in planting two pecan trees. I've...
kathy_fl_panhandle
Where are you? NC
I found a very old thread with this subject and being...
mynxr
Peach Thieves
we have a peach thief problem. Last year when our dwarf...
rem1061
watermelon
this is the first time i have ever grown watermelons....
rsa52
Agapanthus problems
My Peter Pan agapanthus leaves are unusually limp and...
spanishmosslady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™