Sour apple suggestions?

magnoliasouthAugust 2, 2007

I looked over the list of varieties that the Alabama Coop suggested. I was a little down in the dumps to find that of that entire list, only two are suggested for my "Extreme South" location. To top it off they're both sweet varieties and while that's all nice and everything, I would like something sour.

Could anyone suggest a good dwarf-like sour tree that would do well in my area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Your biggest problem is lack of chill-hours. One of the few drawbacks to living that far South. However, it seems like I've seen some of the California fruit growers on the Fruit & Orchards forum indicate that they can get fruit from apple trees that the experts claim *shouldn't* bear, based on their chill-hours, so it might be worth visiting over there and emailing one of them(I can't recall for sure who it was - probably calistoga, pitangadiego, or joereal - one of those folks can probably put you onto the right track.).

Lady Williams(a seedling of Granny Smith) and Centennial crab both do well at my parents' home just outside of Auburn, but I don't know how they'd perform at Mobile. Both are nice, tart, apples.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Mosquito Repellent Plants
I read that "I'd Know I'm a SE Coastal Gardener...
cheryl_griggs
Where are you? NC
I found a very old thread with this subject and being...
mynxr
Damaged Korean Stewartia
We had torrential heavy rain here awhile back and our...
ncstockguy
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
Pensacola info needed???
Someone who lives in Pensacola. I will be visiting...
Brandi_AL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™