please welcome us to the NC coast :-)

quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)August 26, 2012

Hi, my DH and I are planning to move ASAP to the Calabash area. DH is a professional Horticulturist for a golf/ retirement center here and wants the same work at one of the golf courses around Calabash. We will be visiting Sep 3 4 and 5, with one interview and lots of house hunting. Please read my page and give us a hello. Please tell me about the soil, zone and special growing conditions. I want a kitchen garden again, and we have 4 hens. I assume we can bring many of our plants and I am collecting seeds from just about everything. I'd love to attend a plant swap. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I am a newbie, but welcome. :) I would recommend a raised bed garden. I am about an hour NW of Calabash and our soil is sandy and acidic. I often tell people I live on a sand dune but I have no ocean. I am not too sure about Calabash's soil type, though. I tried both raised bed and in-ground gardens here and the raised bed was far more productive and much easier to take care of. I like the square-foot garden method and the Lasagna Gardening method. I kind of incorporate the two together to fit my needs. Good luck and I hope the move goes well.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I am a newbie, but welcome. :) I would recommend a raised bed garden. I am about an hour NW of Calabash and our soil is sandy and acidic. I often tell people I live on a sand dune but I have no ocean. I am not too sure about Calabash's soil type, though. I tried both raised bed and in-ground gardens here and the raised bed was far more productive and much easier to take care of. I like the square-foot garden method and the Lasagna Gardening method. I kind of incorporate the two together to fit my needs. Good luck and I hope the move goes well.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:40AM
More Discussions
Help with plants to soak up water please!
We just bought and house and have had nothing but problems...
good9258
Pensacola info needed???
Someone who lives in Pensacola. I will be visiting...
Brandi_AL
Ruellia brittoniana --Mexican petunia-3to 4 ft. tall
Annie's post of ... What is holding up in the heat...
Carol
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
Hours, you need help
Houzz, do you need help. Maybe someone who Can read...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™