please welcome us to the NC coast :-)

quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)August 26, 2012

Hi, my DH and I are planning to move ASAP to the Calabash area. DH is a professional Horticulturist for a golf/ retirement center here and wants the same work at one of the golf courses around Calabash. We will be visiting Sep 3 4 and 5, with one interview and lots of house hunting. Please read my page and give us a hello. Please tell me about the soil, zone and special growing conditions. I want a kitchen garden again, and we have 4 hens. I assume we can bring many of our plants and I am collecting seeds from just about everything. I'd love to attend a plant swap. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I am a newbie, but welcome. :) I would recommend a raised bed garden. I am about an hour NW of Calabash and our soil is sandy and acidic. I often tell people I live on a sand dune but I have no ocean. I am not too sure about Calabash's soil type, though. I tried both raised bed and in-ground gardens here and the raised bed was far more productive and much easier to take care of. I like the square-foot garden method and the Lasagna Gardening method. I kind of incorporate the two together to fit my needs. Good luck and I hope the move goes well.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I am a newbie, but welcome. :) I would recommend a raised bed garden. I am about an hour NW of Calabash and our soil is sandy and acidic. I often tell people I live on a sand dune but I have no ocean. I am not too sure about Calabash's soil type, though. I tried both raised bed and in-ground gardens here and the raised bed was far more productive and much easier to take care of. I like the square-foot garden method and the Lasagna Gardening method. I kind of incorporate the two together to fit my needs. Good luck and I hope the move goes well.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:40AM
More Discussions
My Sweet Basil Looks Sad! Help?
I bought a small, healthy Sweet Basil plant from Bonnie...
liljekonvall
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
Growing Pecan Trees
We are interested in planting two pecan trees. I've...
kathy_fl_panhandle
Where are all the worms?
I moved to Murrells Inlet from Connecticut last June....
Ralph Thayer
watermelon
this is the first time i have ever grown watermelons....
rsa52
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™