Anyone have a tropical theme garden

debbiep_gwAugust 7, 2006

I was wondering if anyone has a tropical garden and what plants they are growing.As for me I'm seriously thinking of converting all my garden space to tropicals as I like them so much.I grow hibiscus,gingers,banana trees,grasses,a few elephant ears(a new passion)I have a few papayas I started from seed and finally found the variegated tapioca I've wanted plus many others.What tropicals do you grow?Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaye620(z8bGA)

My back yard is slowly turning into my tropical oasis. I have elephant ears, bannan trees, tons of cannas, hibiscus, caladiums, crinum, lady finger ferns, asparagus ferns, yarrow, crocosmia, carolina jasmin, and bird house gourds. This is only my second summer and it has done great.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 1:40PM
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

I have noticed that in this heat and drought the only things that are really doing well are the tropical type plants. I to am switching over.
I have bananas, canna, ginger, rootbeer plant, asparagus fern, bougainvilla, crinum, Elephant ears, Datura and Brugmansia to name a few.
I am much happier with this type of gardening.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 6:59PM
debbiep_gw

Gurley,I have noticed that to.I plan to make a switch myself.I'm going to offer a lot of my plants for trade if you come to get them.Debbie

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 11:17AM
susangarrison(8b FL Panhandle)

I fell in love with the tropical look (large lush foliage and bright colors all thrown together) while vacationing in the keys a few years back. Here's what has done well for me in Zone 8b: bleeding heart vine (clerodendrum thompsonaie), Ti plant, Chinese fan palm, tropical hibiscus, brugmansia, trumpet vine, gingers, oleander, crinum, canna (I love Endeavor), aloe, Black Magic elephant ear, Illustris taro, firespike, sago palm, caladiums, callas, the huge cutleaf philodendrum. Since many of these die back in the winter and don't come back and start filling out until May, I interspersed daylilies, Japanese iris, tall bearded iris, and Louisiana iris amongst them. These spiky bluegreen plants make a nice textural contrast to the large dark leaves of the tropicals and provide early seasonal color. In the summer I mix in easy care drought tolerant annuals such as melampodium and periwinkle in hot colors. My Ti plant is paired with a red knockout rose which echo each other's colors. Almost everyone that sees it comments on the combination.

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
My Sweet Basil Looks Sad! Help?
I bought a small, healthy Sweet Basil plant from Bonnie...
liljekonvall
pruning 5 yr old live oak
I don't think it's ever been pruned but I don't know...
matoad_gw
Agapanthus problems
My Peter Pan agapanthus leaves are unusually limp and...
spanishmosslady
pecan trees
I am going to plant 7 pecan trees. what is the best...
catherine59
Will Daffodils grow in Myrtle Beach SC? [xpost]
This is my first year in Murrells Inlet (S of Myrtle...
Ralph Thayer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™