Help! Did I order the wrong Garlic Variety?

MaPooh(7b/8a)September 7, 2012

I ordered my garlic seed for this falls planting. I intended to buy Early Italian Purple (softneck) but I was up late (as I am now) and accidentally purchased Italian Purple (hardneck). I am in SE North Carolina and everything I am reading says that this variety will not do well here. The farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold winter this year and I was thinking of trying it anyway. (Yes, I follow the Almanac - My Mom swore by it) I have considered refrigerating the seed before planting, but I am just not sure if that will help for fall planting. If I do it, I was thinking 6 weeks of refrigeration and then planting on Nov. 3-4 in my raised garden bed. (Almanac again). Any advice? Am I wasting precious garden space even trying?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_licuala(10a)

How did it go?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:02PM
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I did end up refrigerating the hardneck purple Italian for two weeks before planting. I planted those, the soft neck purple Italian, and polish white. all three are growing identically and very well. They all have large green tops now. I should know more about bulb size by mid summer when we harvest them.
As far a drainage there is plenty. We have very sandy soil here and that was more mixed with compost and rabbit manure when I made the beds two years ago. I grew beans there last year so it should gave nitrogen too.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:23AM
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I did end up refrigerating the hardneck purple Italian for two weeks before planting. I planted those, the soft neck purple Italian, and polish white. all three are growing identically and very well. They all have large green tops now. I should know more about bulb size by mid summer when we harvest them.
As far a drainage there is plenty. We have very sandy soil here and that was more mixed with compost and rabbit manure when I made the beds two years ago. I grew beans there last year so it should gave nitrogen too.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:27AM
MaPooh(7b/8a)

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Where are you? NC
I found a very old thread with this subject and being...
mynxr
Need advice on weird plants for Seuss garden
Hi, I'm a very novice gardener, especially to this...
highjumpgirl
can you 'transplant' spanish moss???
I have 2 live oaks that desperatley need some spanish...
alison_charleston
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
My Sweet Basil Looks Sad! Help?
I bought a small, healthy Sweet Basil plant from Bonnie...
liljekonvall
Sponsored Products
Bolla Carrera Nickel Three-Light Round Pendant
$423.00 | Bellacor
Green Fine Grater
$8.99 | zulily
Prandina | Gong S3 Pendant Light
YLighting
Round Polished Onyx Vessel Sink - Green Onyx
Signature Hardware
Metallic Peacock Feather Pillow
$99.00 | FRONTGATE