Help! Did I order the wrong Garlic Variety?

MaPooh(7b/8a)September 7, 2012

I ordered my garlic seed for this falls planting. I intended to buy Early Italian Purple (softneck) but I was up late (as I am now) and accidentally purchased Italian Purple (hardneck). I am in SE North Carolina and everything I am reading says that this variety will not do well here. The farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold winter this year and I was thinking of trying it anyway. (Yes, I follow the Almanac - My Mom swore by it) I have considered refrigerating the seed before planting, but I am just not sure if that will help for fall planting. If I do it, I was thinking 6 weeks of refrigeration and then planting on Nov. 3-4 in my raised garden bed. (Almanac again). Any advice? Am I wasting precious garden space even trying?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_licuala(10a)

How did it go?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:02PM
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I did end up refrigerating the hardneck purple Italian for two weeks before planting. I planted those, the soft neck purple Italian, and polish white. all three are growing identically and very well. They all have large green tops now. I should know more about bulb size by mid summer when we harvest them.
As far a drainage there is plenty. We have very sandy soil here and that was more mixed with compost and rabbit manure when I made the beds two years ago. I grew beans there last year so it should gave nitrogen too.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:23AM
MaPooh(7b/8a)

I did end up refrigerating the hardneck purple Italian for two weeks before planting. I planted those, the soft neck purple Italian, and polish white. all three are growing identically and very well. They all have large green tops now. I should know more about bulb size by mid summer when we harvest them.
As far a drainage there is plenty. We have very sandy soil here and that was more mixed with compost and rabbit manure when I made the beds two years ago. I grew beans there last year so it should gave nitrogen too.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:27AM
MaPooh(7b/8a)

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
pecan trees
I am going to plant 7 pecan trees. what is the best...
catherine59
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
Little gem diseases
This is the 2nd year that I have grown little gem magnolias....
glogirll-2009
Where are all the worms?
I moved to Murrells Inlet from Connecticut last June....
Ralph Thayer
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™