Botrytus any help

hummersteveMay 14, 2010

I recieved a plant salvia greggii in which all leaves turned into crispy critters and fell off the plant. If this plant has been affected by botrytus fungus is it a gonner or is there any hope for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

Hummersteve:
The only problem I have had w/S.greggii was downy Mildew that was years ago it does defoliate and kills the plant. Botrytus can be remedied by Daconil.Which is rated for vegetables.That is the safest way I know to deal with it.
Art

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 2:56PM
dicot

First step is to make sure you've identified the pathogen correctly. Is there the tell-tale grey mold present? For most rot I'd re-pot it in sterile soil mix, cut the greggii back to the stump, then douse the whole thing with 3% peroxide. Then if it resprouts, make absolutely sure not to splash soil onto the new greggii leaves while watering, as you try and disrupt the infection cycle.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 3:30PM
hummersteve

dicot

No I have not for sure ID anything . But the seller suggested that was the culprit as that is what they have had happen to this plant greggii pink preference. All the leaves turned to crispy critters and fell off the plant and there have been no signs of life but I will try your suggestion. It looks dead so nothing to lose.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 12:33AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I find that blackleg (Pythium) can do in Salvias, especially cuttings

Here is a link that might be useful: Pythium Root Rot on Ornamentals

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™