Sans cylindrica

elsier(z6 KY)April 20, 2004

I have just repotted mine, after several years in the same pot. Roots were starting to come out of the drainage holes, and the plastic pot was distorted into an oval shape by the many roots.

It will be much happier in it's new pot, I think. But I have a question. My plan was to separate the several plants. But I chickened out at the last moment and just moved the whole mass into the new pot. Could I have cut them apart with a knife and dusted the cut ends with something (what?)

Thanks.

Elsie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnestsoup

At this time of year with plants in full growth (dependant on your location, ofcourse)there should be no problem in cutting & dividing your Sans. Be careful to let the cut parts dry out for a day or two & re-pot into a porous & well aerated mix & keep on the dry side initially. You can also dust the cut surfaces with a sulfur based compound, usually green or yellow & available in garden stores or general stores. You'll find that Sans are quite forgiving & if the plants are well grown (as yours seem to be) then they'll soon recover from the shock & go on to produce even bigger & better growths. A mature S. cylindrica can easily reach six feet in height; remember these will only flower when mature - something worth waiting for.

Bookmark   April 22, 2004 at 6:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elsier(z6 KY)

Thanks for your advice, birdnestsoup. The individual stems on my plant are about two feet long, so I guess it is just a juvenile plant still. I have been having some good success with Sans flowering so far this year, so I am hopeful the cylindrica will bloom in the future as well.

Elsie

Bookmark   April 23, 2004 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
root in water - not working....
re-potted my oldest Sans a few weeks ago, and kind...
djliquidice
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
Hahnii Silver Marginated - rot
I bought Sans. Hahnii Silver Marginated Jan 31, and...
lme5573
How much does a sans grow in a year?
I recently got 2 of these and was wondering how much...
tlbean2004
Sans2014
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™