Miracle-Gro 0062581-298 Cactus, Palm, & Citrus Soil - 8 Quart

cebiginalaska(3a)April 17, 2013

Miracle-Gro 0062581-298 Cactus, Palm, & Citrus Soil - 8 Quart. Is this soil any good for my Sansevierias? I have no access to any stores locally so I need to order my soil from Amazon with the free shipping option to help save some money. I have my Sans in Miracle-Gro Potting Mix right now because they were the only potting soil that my local store had and I didn't know Sans need special soil.

Also wondering if I would be able to reuse the Miracle-Gro potting mix for other transplant plants? Going to reuse these for tomato plants that I am trying to grow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cebiginalaska(3a)

I haven't watered since I got them but took my cuttings out and some of them were little damp and I also have the soil as aerated as possible so it won't be too heavy and hopefully the roots will move freely. The soil are in pots that should be able to drain. I had this "new" replacement plant sent to me after my other plant turned like this during shipping.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 1:44AM
cebiginalaska(3a)

BTW the roots on this Sans that I am holding in my hand are very small doesn't fit the size of the plant. What kind of Sans is this? The company that shipped it said it is what they call a "Steel Plant"

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 1:59AM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

The company said Steel Plant because Sans has the reputation of being tough and made of steel. But what you have looks very much like Futura Black Gold. It is a sorter growing about 18" max and has wider leaves, just under 4". Sans can grow in all types of soil but I found that a cactus mix with perlite works just fine. Go ahead and use your soil and mix perlite about 30 to 40 percent to add drainage. As far as your old soil. It should be ok for reusing for your other plants. Some times I would pour boiling water thru the soil days before reusing it. To remove salts and any bugs.
Stush

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 12:18PM
cebiginalaska(3a)

Thanks Stush :) Will Order a couple bags of the soil with couple bags of perlite next week when I get paid. I have a 5 cuttings from my older plant and 4 cuttings from this Futura Black Gold plant. And the 2 Mother plants. Not really sure how much soil to order but will start out with 2 bags of each and see if I need more.
Do you know what type of Sans the first plant was? Picture of the first Sans is attached.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 2:01AM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Futura Superba. Grows the same way as your other one.
Also those stem cuttings it they root for you will loose the yellow edge on the new growth. They will develop into Futura `Robusta'.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 6:33PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello!
You really want to avoid peat moss based products, which is what Miracle Grow is for the most part. If you must use MG, mix it with LOTS of screened and rinsed Perlite. It is very important to remove the Perlite dust and the small particulate or it, too, will clog your mix. I'd start with 60 percent Perlite.

"Orchid Mix" that contains bark, pumice/lava rock, charcoal, and other coarse ingredients will make a much better "off the shelf" mix.

Josh

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Sans2014
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
Is my Whitney ok? What should I do?
On of the favorites in my modest collection, my new...
vivaria
new snake plant- total beginner in need of tips!
Hi everyone, So glad I found this forum. I've been...
k8lizzy
Cerus peruvianus questions
Notice the white color,is it natural or maybe underwatered...
spikef35
Sponsored Products
Colors in Motion Giclee Shade 8/17x8/17x10 (Spider)
$89.99 | Lamps Plus
Plant Hangers with Wrap-Around - RED-30 INCH
$17.09 | Hayneedle
Chroma Type 301 8 Inch Carving Knife - P05
$104.95 | Hayneedle
Black Stainless Steel Essential Series 14-Piece Knife Set
$36.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Nevis Passage Green/Beige 2' 3" x 7' 6"
$59.97 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Area Rug: Maze Cream and Brown 5' 3" x 8' 3"
Home Depot
Nature's Tapestry Artisan Glass Plate