Update on My Hydro Sans Family

pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)May 19, 2013

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to show how big this got. I went away last Fall for 4 days for Hurricane Sandy & when I got back I noticed the taller of these plants was now over 1 ft. tall. It must have just had a growth spurt, or, I guess after not seeing it for a few days suddenly I could see the difference.

For those who may have missed the earlier pix, these are all growing in water & Leca stones only, they have never seen mix & were started from one leaf each of 3 plants in this basket grouping.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't done it for myself.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

PG,
That's amazing! It's funny to think Sans can easily rot from overwatering but that you can propagate one like that.

Planto

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 2:14AM
barbmock

Karen,

When you start them, do you need to let them callus beforehand? And do you use a little diluted plant food?I really would like to try this too These little experiments are fun. Barb

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:23PM
Enterotoxigenic00

I was just thinking the same thing as plantomaniac. Very interesting indeed.
K

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:29AM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

It all just goes to show you how tough these plants are! They will grow and survive in most conditions and you can propagate them by division, leaf, cut up leaves, and seed. You have to admire this plant.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 11:51AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very nice! :-)
Now...why the tiny pic?!

Josh

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 8:16PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey Everybody,

Planto & Entero, yea, I think it's fascinating, don't know why it works w/out rotting but it does.

Hiya Barb, I've been meaning to get back here to answer. I barely even think about it when I start them. I haven't calloused them & definitely don't use fertilizer. Only recently did I even think to add some dilute fertilizer to their water. I do use Leca stones & don't change the water, I only add to it. If I remember, I throw in some charcoal bits (aquarium grade from the pet store) to help prevent potential algae (preventative, not been a problem thus far).

I've been looking around to see what else I can add to our proposed swap as the H limifolia pups still seem kind of small.

Josh, hey you, fancy meeting you here ;>)

Tiny pic? Not tiny from here, you're the first I've heard say that. I will confess I don't know pic sizing, but all the rest of my seem sized OK here.

Yes, Laura they do seem indestructible don't they? I've seen Sans growing seemingly wild in beds off the highways around Ft. Lauderdale. I remember being surprised by it.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 11:17PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey! :-)

Oh, several others have mentioned the small pics in the past, primarily as requests for more detail. For a while there, you were posting somewhat larger pics.

Yeah, the pic is tiny...smaller than nearly all other pics posted at GardenWeb. Even when I clicked the pic and went to the album, I didn't see any option to enlarge. On my monitor, your image is 3.5 x 4 inches.

Josh

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 1:33AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hey this is way cool, I've been a fan of this experiment too! Sans has turned out to be one of the funnest plants I have to play with, largely thanks to "ideas" I saw/got from PG. Very inspirational pics and discussions. She lured me in here!

I think I said something about the pics being small before. When I see other peoples' pics on PB and click the + thing, they get bigger, but I it won't do that to yours. I've only used it as a viewer, so have no idea why.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 6:26PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Folks,

Experimenting here, since it's my own thread. Let's see what size pic this turns out to be.

am hoping these 2 pics will be clickable:

Let's see what happens.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 1:22AM
barbmock

Sorry Karen, Not much better. They areclickable, but the pics come up small again.

I still don't have your address. Barb

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 10:42AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I get the same result.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 11:47AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry folks, I don't know what to do otherwise. I played w/ posting other lines code from Photobucket (other than the 3rd line as always), & it just yielded the same copy & pasted code, & no pic.

Hi Barb,

Sorry, as I said above, I haven't sent you my addy yet 'cause those pups still look too small; I'm trying to see what else I can offer that you might like to make it a more equitable trade.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 12:19PM
jackierooke(z5MI)

Hey Karen, long time no see.

What are Leca Stones?

Jackie

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 1:10PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hiya Jackie, long time indeed. I'm pretty well, thx, hope you are too. Saw your question on watering implements & thought Wow, JackieR, long time ...

Leca Stones are used for hydro growing of plants (I forget now if it's fired clay or volcanic rock), but you set that in a vessel of water & then a netted pot inside that to hold the plants, sort of above, w/ roots growing into & among the Leca Stones.

Oh, wait, I've got just the thing to show you this.

This is a pot of Leca stones w/an Anthurium that I've managed to save by switching it to growing in water, from failing in mix.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 10:38PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Karen!
What size are the pics that you're uploading? Are you cropping or re-sizing them before you upload to photobucket? In other words, are they full-size (take up the entire browser) when you view them on a computer/laptop?

Josh

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 6:33PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Josh,

I don't know the size but no, I am not cropping or resizing them. Just a direct copy & paste. But no, the pic doesn't take up the whole screen.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 8:26AM
barbmock

Hi Karen,

I started some hoya cuttings in some stones from the pet store, I think they are really for lizard terrariums. Anyway, they started in a matter of a few days. Now I think I will try some sans.

Re: our trade. Not necessary to add more plants. I am having cataract surgery in a couple of weeks, so I was hoping to get my trading done before then. It really doesn't matter one way or the other. Mathilde is sitting here in the kitchen window for you. Barb

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
New Sans
I bought a new snake plant today, and while I'm familiar...
Twobedroom_jungle
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
sansevieria pups wanted (the TALL variety)
just curious if anyone can send me a sansevieria pup...
jay83
Is my Whitney ok? What should I do?
On of the favorites in my modest collection, my new...
vivaria
What's wrong with my snake plant?
I've been excited to have a snake plant for a while...
Galleriagirl11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™