Vegetable planting guide

frostyboy(z8b Coastal Georgia)October 16, 2006

Well we've been in Richmond Hill (a little South of Savannah) since early June and so far we love it. But coming from Cincinnati I don't yet have a handle on vegetable planting times here. I've heard it's possible to even squeeze in a few different harvests a year on certain things...is that true? Anyway, I'm looking for advice on when to plant seedlings for: tomatoes, pumpkins, hot peppers, basil and oregano. And for flowers, I like to plant sunflowers, moonflowers, nicotiana. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The UGA extention site offers quite a few fact sheets regarding numerous gardening topics. You should also visit Clemson's HGIC site, which is outstanding. A trip to a favorite book store will result in your discovery of several local gardening authors and their useful books. A favorite is Month by Month Gardening for Georgia by Bob Polomsky.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 2:55AM
frostyboy(z8b Coastal Georgia)

Thanks Rhizo, that turned out to be a great link and exactly what I was looking for. I'm having a blast learning what all can be grown around here...so many things that couldn't be grown up North. This is such a wonderful area!

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 11:05PM
coffebluff

I live in Savannah, can see Richmond Hill from my dock, and have found a book called: "Tustee's Garden Guide to the deep South." Published here in Savannah, lots of charts, great info.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Peach Thieves
we have a peach thief problem. Last year when our dwarf...
rem1061
Liriope Diseases
Does anyone else have a problem with their liriopes...
kathleen_mcclellan
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
Pensacola info needed???
Someone who lives in Pensacola. I will be visiting...
Brandi_AL
Mosquito Repellent Plants
I read that "I'd Know I'm a SE Coastal Gardener...
cheryl_griggs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™