Quality Time

ilovetogrow z9 Jax FloridaMay 22, 2011

Recently my son has joined me in gardening. He has taken a keen interest in hostas and orchids. I have a nice collection of sans and recently re-potting one largely over grown one I cut off three nice sized pups and set them aside. When I was done I asked, 'What am I to do with these? Maybe the compost bin?' Quietly at first he said, 'I can take one. Maybe two or three.' I just chuckled. Next thing I knew they were potted up and off to a new home. I am enjoying this time very much with my son. Paula=^..^=

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

What a lovely little interaction.

How old is your young gardener? I especially like the "1, maybe 2 or 3". Sounds like he's been paying attention to the gardening, good job ;>)

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:56AM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

My son just had a birthday this month and turned 28. He has grown up in green houses from California to Florida since he was a small child. Mostly they were filled with cactus. He generally had a few of his own that were the colorful grafted ones.
He has been paying attention. He has now managed to beat me out of some of the better deals and knows where the clearance table is in the garden dept. Going to have to watch that child!

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:17PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Interesting, I thought were were talking about a small boy like 6-8 yrs. old.

I realize since he's your son so you may always regard him as your 'child'. However, having just turned 28, to me he hasn't been a child for more than 20 yrs.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 5:53PM
tf.-drone

Hmm

my daughter is 7 and properly taking care of a Mammillaria, a Crassula ovata and of course a Sansevieria trifasciata. She already excels her mother in keeping plants alive ;)

Our son is yet too little at 4 1/2

Helli

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 7:48AM
blueszz

Sounds great! I share the love about growing plants with my Mom too. If she wasn't 81 and could move around better I'm sure she would have more plants. Every plant she has looks so vigorous and healthy!
It's great to share the same interests with (one of your) parents (from a daughters perspective of view).
Hope you have many more precious moments with your son!
Nicole

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Sans2014
So I planted a Sans. Rhizome & Look
Another wacky experiment of mine, here's what I got This...
pirate_girl
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
Please ID my new Hahnii
I finally found a new Hahnii to bring home - I have...
lme5573
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™