Bulbs for the Coastal South?

BOBtheSCgardener(z8b SC)October 10, 2006

What Spring bulbs work well for the Coastal South? Paperwhites and Giant Snowflake seem to come back year after year but are there others that can go the distance as perrenials? Are there any Daffodils that work well for the Coastal South. Does anyone have experience with species tulips in this region? Any luck? What about Alliums? I just got a few bulb catalogs in and am eager to try something new but I am bit hesitant. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dataw1127

I've had luck with the species tulips. You have to plant them where they will stay pretty dry throughout the cooler months. Just ordered some more from the Riverbanks Zoo Fall bulb sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverbanks Zoo

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 9:40PM
cindyabs

According to Barbara Sullivan in her "Garden Perennials for the Coastal South",(excellent book btw), the following Daffs work here-Abba, BridalGown, Cheerfulness, Sir Winston Churchill,Telamonius Plenus, and Yellow Cheerfulness for double flowering ones. St.Keverne is a good large cup choice.

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 8:07PM
delmobile(Gulf Coast)

There are clumps of amaryllis in the yards of older houses all over town here in Mobile. I just now transplanted a good-sized patch that started from four or five bulbs a few years ago. Mine are red with the white throats, not my favorite, but I've seen big drifts of pure white ones here too, and clear red. They bloom in April here, but then you have to put up with the big floppy leaves all summer and into fall. They need good drainage and seem to do better in at least partial shade. My neighbor has a traffic-stopping group about a yard in diameter under her water oak.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 6:42PM
curdog007

Give crinum lilies a try, they are a stand-by that can be found around many old home places.
Lynn

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 2:49PM
callijo(z8NC)

Ipheon and similar small bulbs.

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
pruning 5 yr old live oak
I don't think it's ever been pruned but I don't know...
matoad_gw
Square Foot Gardening
I set up a square foot garden this year (2-4x4 boxes),...
paulgsmith
Mud Or Clay
I am new to the forum and nature. I would like to know...
potterm
watermelon
this is the first time i have ever grown watermelons....
rsa52
How to grow English Lavender in Southeast Georgia
I have a lavender plant, and it is not growing that...
liljekonvall
Sponsored Products
Vessel S LED Indoor/Outdoor Lamp by Smart & Green
$119.00 | Lumens
Emperor Forged Graphite Five-Light Chandelier
$178.20 | Bellacor
Livex Mendham 5269-70 2-Light Ceiling Mount in Vintage Bronze - 5269-70
$119.90 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Hampton Bay Metarie 24 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling
$89.99 | Home Depot
Masiero Lighting | Botero 10 Light Pendant Light
YLighting
3-Light Chandelier Blacksmith
PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™