Forest Pansy Redbud - Any Luck in Panhandle?

anahita(z8 FL)November 9, 2003

Before I buy one of these guys, I thought I would see if anyone in/around Santa Rosa County has had good luck with them. I would like to plant one under a new stand of river birches to provide a "dappled shade" canopy, but have noticed lately that river birches in the area seem to remain quite sparse throughout the summer.

tks

DN

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pcola(z8 NW Florida)

Hi DN

I live in the area and have a few river birches. They seem to take a few years to become established. And they do lose leaves in the heat/drought of the summer. I read they are native to wet areas such as rivers and lakes, so I think they need extra water when they are in periods of low rainfall. I don't have experience with redbud, but I believe they do well as understory tree similar to dogwood.

Bookmark   November 11, 2003 at 1:23PM
Blooming_annie(z 8/9, Chas, SC)

Okay, I'm not in the Florida panhandle but would guess we are in a pretty similar climate. My area is 8B/9, humid, sandy soil, mild winter, long summer, etc. I planted a Forest Pansy in pretty much full sun this July and it grew so much it was truly freaky. The leaves retained their purple color up until about a month ago when they turned green and some started looking ratty but that's the season, I guess.

There are several Forest Pansys planted in my area in full sun and they all seem to be doing well. In fact, one place has them planted in the medians in their parking lot and they look great.

My neighbor has one planted in the dappled shade of some pines, it has hardly grown at all in two years, and the leaves lose their purply tones. She has regular redbuds nearby that thrive in the same conditions.

I LOVE mine and so does every one else who ever sees it. To me, the dark foliage is visually refreshing mid-summer when the sun is so intense your eyeballs ache.

Try it, you'll like it!!!

Bookmark   November 12, 2003 at 8:41AM
anahita(z8 FL)

Thanks guys - I'm going to give it a try, and water, water, water.

Bookmark   November 12, 2003 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Hours, you need help
Houzz, do you need help. Maybe someone who Can read...
josephene_gw
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
Hello -New here
Hi everyone. I was looking up "how to grow parsnips...
Marsha_OBeach
My Sweet Basil Looks Sad! Help?
I bought a small, healthy Sweet Basil plant from Bonnie...
liljekonvall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™