Salvia transplant's leaves turning purple

ellieandethansmom(7)May 6, 2005

I just transpanted some salvia plants propogated from cuttings last fall. They were hardened off slowly and planted out right before we got a couple of light freezes. Some of the leaves turned an eggplant purple, what does this mean, is it an indication that it got too cold for them or a deficiency in the soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

If the soil is still cool, it could probably just be lack of phosphorus....phosphorus doesnt move to well in cold/cool soil...it's pretty normal for some plants and they get a purple coloring. I have certain plants that do that in early spring and late fall but normal color returns as soon as the soil warms up :)

Vera

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 8:00PM
Salvia_guy(z8 OR)

Cold.

SG

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 11:55AM
diane49

Hello

Help my first time gardening and things aren't going well.My eggplant's leaves are turning purple as well as the veins. What do you think? Could I need to add phosphorous and if so what it is . I will really appreciate any help. The only vegetable that seems to be doing okay are my cucumbers. I have two beds that I made using Mel's mix but the tomatoes aren't doing well. my herbs in the other are dying off one at a time. I just bought a soil testing kit so that is my next step. I am determined to not let this deter me from my garden. I will learn as I go Thanks again

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 10:40AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Is the garden plot amended? I don't know what Mel's mix is. Is it a raised bed, and did you remove the turf first? Roto tilling the lawn with the grass still there is not a geed idea in a lot of cases.

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Meadow Sage Splaying
The plant looks lovely all the way up to and pretty...
florananny
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™