Building a Fence

savannarose(9)December 30, 2004

Would anyone in the Savannah area be able to recommend Lowes or Home Depot for building privacy fences? I know there must be decent private contractors out there but have not had good experiences dealing with individuals. Either they mess up-or if they're good at what they do, you wait forever to get on their list.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaseysMom

I would suggest contacting a nursery and ask them for references.
They would know a reputable contractor who can do the hardscaping related to gardening...

Bookmark   December 30, 2004 at 10:49PM
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

You can backchannel email me for more info....I've had several, fences done.

Bookmark   January 3, 2005 at 9:41AM
savannarose(9)

Still waiting for a referral....thanks!

Bookmark   February 14, 2005 at 2:25PM
coastalsav(z9A)

I know this is an old question, but if you don't have your fence yet, did you try Sears? They used to have a fence program.

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 1:30PM
savannarose(9)

Thanks so much for your responses. Haven't tried Sears but will keep them in mind. Does anyone know about zoning restrictions regarding picket fences in front yards on Wilmington Island. I don't see many in the subdivisions and wonder if zoning's an issue?
I'm really tired of people walking through my yard!
P.S. How hard is it to build a fence yourself? I'm real good with a post hole digger.

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 2:30PM
SUSANDALLAS(zone 8,dallas)

Fences are quite easy to put up yourself. Are you using chain link or wood? I put up chain link over 2 acres of my property & I am in my fifties. If you don't mind a little hard work, it would save you a ton of money to do it yourself. You can pick up fence building instructions for free at Home Depot or Lowes. I would never pay anyone to put up a fence. Most of the cost is labor.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 4:31PM
PeaBee4(9a)

Unless you live in one of the subdivisions like Olde Town, I am pretty sure you can put in a fence. some of the newer vinyl ones are quite nice if you don't want to keep up the painting. They do show mildew, but you can wash that off with bleach water. Would it make your house look odd in the midst of your neighbors? If so, maybe some other kind of casual rail fence would block your walk-throughs.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 4:51PM
savannarose(9)

Thanks so much for your responses and ideas. How do you check for the property lines? Do you actually need to hire a surveyor? Permits....? We used to live way out in the country where you could build just about anything and noone cared much. I bet it's a bit different here.

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 12:47PM
mlwschultz(z5 ME)

Vinyl fencing is easy to install yourself & comes in many different styles. There's sure to be one that fits the style of your house. I think the general instructions are to place your posts, then install the sections, but it's easier to put in a section, then the post to be sure it's in the right place (rather than putting in 2 posts & finding out they're too far apart, etc.).

What about a living fence? Can you plant a border of shrubs that will block the inconsiderate walkthroughs?

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 9:37AM
savannarose(9)

Thanks for the living fence idea but I don't think it would survive the skateboards!
I'm still trying to find out about permits, surveys, etc.

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 11:22AM
drasaid(zone 8)

and the skateboarders won't survive IT.
(thorny blackberry, Mermaid rose on a trellis, Quince, Pomegranate, An Evil Holly, the list of blood drawing greenery goes on and on

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 8:14PM
good_gardening

E-mail me and we will discuss your fence off-line.

Bookmark   May 20, 2005 at 10:33PM
Hitori

D.I.Y. !! i almost got a contractor to do my privacy fence. i had to do some unexpected and very expensive sprinkler system problem fixes at the same time which used up like 2/3rds of my fence budget. so i didn't want to wait so i decided wtf i will do it myself! i went and boughht the premade sections of privacy fence they sell @ HD. they are six feet tall with last foot being lattice and eight feet wide. super easy to put up. put up posts and then just screw the premade sections to the posts. it looks great, its sturdy, and the price per section is only 61 dollars. u can't build them yourself that cheap!! i saved myself alot of money, and now i know how to put up a fence. i can't imagine every paying someone to put in a small fence ever again. if i had to do like ten acres of fencing, then thats a different story, but if its a average size yard, then go for it!!

-Hitori

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 12:18PM
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

If you don't know where the property markers are I would definitely have it surveyed.

We just had our done last year. A nieghbor - who doesn't live here - just owns property next door - started stirring up problems with those of us who do live here. Lots of conversations about what tree, fence or road was on whose property etc.

I immediately contacted our bank to recommend a good surveyor and had it done. Those 'concerns' were squelched immediately.

On other pieces of property I have owned I have set the fence anywhere from 6 inches to two feet inside my property line. This way no one can claim any rights to alter my fence... or grow anything on it.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
Square Foot Gardening
I set up a square foot garden this year (2-4x4 boxes),...
paulgsmith
Hello -New here
Hi everyone. I was looking up "how to grow parsnips...
Marsha_OBeach
watermelon
this is the first time i have ever grown watermelons....
rsa52
Where are all the worms?
I moved to Murrells Inlet from Connecticut last June....
Ralph Thayer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™