Can a Snake Plant be kept outside?

alohakatieMay 22, 2007

Hello! I just bought my first Snake Plant. Can they be kept outside in my zone? There is a protected spot on my front porch that I was thinking would be okay. It is shaded with a bit of sun in the afternoon. Or, is this strictly an indoor plant?

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michaela(z6+ TN)

I would say the answer is 'probably will be fine'. The more light, the better (at least on your porch), and if the temps get too cold, I assume your plant is potted and you can bring it inside for a day or two until it warms up again.

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 9:18AM
flicker(z8b LA)

My various sansevieria trifasciatas love the summer heat and humidity of Louisiana. Of course I bring them inside at 50* and below. Especially Lillian True or fasciata. I am told that all variegated sans are tender.
Johanna

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 7:06PM
bennymino

I have several sans and they have been outside for over a month now. I'm in zone 6 and they are doing great. Two are in bright shade and one gets afternoon sun and I've never had a problem. I'll bring them inside in the fall and in the house they don't get too much direct light either(they're in bright shade inside too). I can't even remember the last time I watered them and they seem to love it:) They put on a lot of growth this year which I'm very excited about. Good luck with your new plant..sharon

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 10:55AM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

I kept a group of mine in semi-shade all winter, and we had a hard freeze this year, they had a plastic hard cover over them and they were on a north wall, I kept them very dry, and they did just fine, which was another surprise. I learned nothing is written in stone. The plants at the Huntington Gardens did not do so well.
I will try some in open run this year just to see what happens. Norma

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
snake plant keeps dying
Greetings, my snake plant that I keep in a room (temperature...
cicak
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
root in water - not working....
re-potted my oldest Sans a few weeks ago, and kind...
djliquidice
PLEASE HELP!
Hello, I am new to plant ownership and have been aiming...
lawilson10
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™