Shipping charges

marilyn_fl(zone 9 Florida)May 26, 2013

I live in Florida and have been trying to buy a salvia black and blue plant. I cant seem to find this plant in my area.I can find the plant for $4-$9 on the Internet. The problem is the shipping charges are $15. These are from states not all that far from Florida. I noticed some places are even charging for packaging. Guess I will put this plant on a forget it list for now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

You need to remember that plants need to be sent as quickly as possible and so the cost is greater. I always make sure my order is worth the postage.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 1:08PM
kermitc

Shipping one plant is expensive anywhere. As the size of the order increases, the cost per plant decreases. That's why planning your mail order purchases is so important.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 7:38PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

The USPS Priority Mail is still the cheapest way to ship. Here in the SE USA, minimal shipping charges for a small order went recently from about $7 to $9 with the new rates earlier this year.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:23AM
ponyexpress_1

Try Ebay or seeds.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:12PM
basil108

Most of my local nurseries will special order a plant (three out of four so far, and I haven't tried the fourth yet), typically with no extra cost or shipping charge. While the occasional rare plant can't be special ordered, common plants like Black and Blue are commonly available. Just phone your local nurseries. Total cost of the plant will be less than the USPS shipping cost.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 6:04PM
bossyvossy

Google wholesale growers and ask who buys black n blue from them. Surprised you can't find as it should do well in ur area , perhaps you can't find NOW b/c out of season but not b/c rare. $15 is about as cheap as it's gonna get for a single plant. There are economies of scale if you get 3-4. Almost same shipping cost

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 5:31PM
bossyvossy

Correct tip : ....ask who from ur area buys black n blue from said growers

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™