deadheading red salvia

josal(4)May 15, 2011

Dumb Question: I planted 'Lady In Red' for the first time last season and had NO hummingbirds stop by. I didn't deadhead them because they never looked (to me) like they were done blooming. So what I need to know is do I take each individual blossom off or do I cut the whole group off lower down?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

If you leave the flower spikes alone I've noticed they sometimes continue to spit out one or two blooms for a while, even if the spike is largely spent. What I do is just cut off the spikes once they are mostly spent.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 10:37PM
hybridsage

josal:
You can as hawkeye suggested you should also have some seedlings start showing up. It may take a while for the
Hummers to find your Salvia's I have a whole yard full
of different species and they are still finding it. I
have 1-2 hummers visit on their way from and then back to wintering area's in Mexico
Art

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 5:37AM
josal(4)

Thank you both for your advice. I haven't planted yet as we had frost last night and it's forecast for tonight, but I'm looking forward to happy hummers this season.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 11:50AM
wardda

Hummingbird certainly use all the types of coccinea. The only downside to the species is flowering shuts down in the afternoon in really hot weather. Most of us who grow lots of coccinea, at least the ones I know, do not deadhead them. There is no reason since their continuous growth covers up most of the seedheads. Coccinea is also an excellent plant for seed eating birds. Goldfinches take the seed as it ripens and migrant sparrows like White-throated Sparrows use it all winter. It is an amazingly abundant seeder.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
Salvia Madrensis dormancy
I purchased two gallon pots at a plant sale this fall,...
fairfield8619
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™