black and blue question

eddie10(SE Mi.)May 10, 2005

First time having black and blue salvia and was wondering if putting one in a half barrel would be a good idea?---if so --what kind of soil would you recommend? thanks---ED

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Adam_Moore(z8 Tx)

the half whisky barel will do just fine. Your B&B will eventually send out new plnts all through the barrel and fill it in. At that point, you'll need to divide it.
Any GOOD potting mix will work well for you just make sure your getting enough drainage.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 11:55PM
skrip(z9/sun19/SoCal.)

And to divide it you just pull the new bottom growth? I am experimenting with rooting some from cutting, but my main plant has new little 'babies' around it. I tried digging one up and realized it was connected to the main plant since I couldnt find its roots.

I would like to take some of the new babies and put them in another planter, but was told its best to move only if it has roots.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 12:52PM
mimidi(z8)

The B&B should do really great in a half barrel.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 11:37AM
Adam_Moore(z8 Tx)

Skrip,
You might want to wait a little while if the new ones don't have roots of their own yet. The new roots should come about quikly.
IF you want to try rooting a few cuttings, go ahead. I find that the Guaraniticas are some of the easiest plants to root.
Adam.

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 12:07AM
skrip(z9/sun19/SoCal.)

I have a little cutting in a tiny pot with miracle gro soil and a plastic cover on it. Looks like it is working a bit. It had a flower spike in the middle that was just growing, I pinched it off and stuck it in leaving 2 leaves on both sides of it. WHere I pinched it seems to be growing new little leaves. Im hoping in a couple of weeks I can plant it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 12:47PM
Adam_Moore(z8 Tx)

The new growth is a good sigh. It usually takes about three weeks to make sure it has enough roots to survive.

Bookmark   May 20, 2005 at 2:05AM
More Discussions
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™