Salvia Seedlings Mulch or not

hummersteveMay 16, 2007

Being as this is my first year planting salvia and after going through everything in growing them from seed ,is this something that should be mulched or is up to the planter. Im thinking that salvia dont require a lot of moisture but for these rather tender seedlings a mulch will hold moisture, so what is proper here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Have you thoroughly hardened off the seedlings, are they in individual pots, and are there 6 to 8 pairs of robust leaves? You can get by with 3 to 4 pairs if the plants are robust and the leaves fully adapted to your outside conditions. This applies to rooted cuttings also.

This is a fairly conservative approach, appropriate for a beginner

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 9:43PM
hummersteve

Yes to all the above, ok I answered your questions when are you going to answer mine.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 2:02AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Light mulching is OK, but it won't do much good until the roots of the plant have grabbed into the soil and are growing robustly in their new home. At that time, weeds and soil moisture may start to become a problem. Until then, it needs air and light around its base. Mulching too early will give pest and pathogens more of a chance to affect the plant.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 11:01AM
ramazz(8a VA)

I can attest to the pest problem associated with mulch. Last year, I put one of my small B&Bs in a spot that was already mulched, and it almsot got eaten alive. I dug it up, put it in a pot on the deck to recover, and then put it in a completely different spot.

My beds could use mulching, but I don't want to cause problems for the plants that are doing so well right now.

Becky

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 12:00PM
hummersteve

Thanks guys, I wont be mulching. IM already bedding my plants which is something new to me and I like it and the plants like it.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™