Which form of Salvia urica?

hybridsageMay 28, 2011

I have a Salvia urica that has silver undersides to the leaves

does anyone know which form this is?

Thanks

Art

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kermitc

Two different forms growing here - none with a silver underside. The one we are increasing has light hairs underneath.

Both were from seed, both claimed to be the "true" urica, and both had subtle differences between seedlings. I selected the strongest and nicest flowering of these for vegetative increase.

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will.

Kermit

Bookmark   December 2, 0002 at 12:07AM
kermitc

Two different forms growing here - none with a silver underside. The one we are increasing has light hairs underneath.

Both were from seed, both claimed to be the "true" urica, and both had subtle differences between seedlings. I selected the strongest and nicest flowering of these for vegetative increase.

Kermit

kermitc

Kermit

robinmi_gw

Are you sure that it is a S. urica and not a hybrid? I have had 3 forms of S. urica, don't recall silver undersides, though.

Robin.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 4:20PM
hybridsage

Robin:
It could be a hybrid. It was sold to me as S. urica but
has not bloomed yet. The only other S. urica I have seen
had green foliage similar to S.coccinea. There are several\
form I have not seen. One of these day's I will start posting pictures.The only form I have seen was the U.C. Berkely form
Have not seen the the short form or J.L.Hutson form. I have a new camera waiting for better weather to try and get some pics to post.
Art

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:34PM
riverrelaxn85(zone 9a-b)

Mine has silver/white undersides. I only have the one form so i dont have anything to compare it to. But, Robin you looked at it by the flowers and thought it was S. urica. I was unsure a while back. I got mine from cuttings at the Botanical gardens here at the university. I have pictures of the flowers if anyone wants to see. Its in flower now and will be for months to come. Just email me.

Brent

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 1:25PM
annette68_gw

Email me some pics would love to look;)

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 1:38AM
robinmi_gw

Salvia urica is a strange Salvia. Very beautiful. Freely self seeds, even if not hardy.

There is a beautiful, compact form, 2 ft x 2 ft, which is a gem. But seeds from this revert to the very tall and slightly aggressive form. I suspect that this originated with dwarfing agents being used........common in Holland. But cuttings from this are just perfect. No silver undersides, more a lime-green.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 7:13PM
kermitc

We are currently trialing this species as a flowering potted plant. I believe that with PGRs it will be short and compact enough to be a hit, but the untreated plants are starting to get pretty tall. The flowers do attract attention!

Kermit

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™