Salvias setting seed already

phoebe1969(z8CA)May 10, 2005

My Microphylla Wild Watermelon really put on a show early this year and it started setting seed last month. Now I see that my Lemmonii is begiining to seed too. This has been one crazy year. We just had rain here again in Calif. with some hail in areas. I am hoping this is last of it for awhile so I can get out and get working on some things. My Columbariae and Verbenacea that I winter sowed are just flowering too along with my purchases of Buchananii and Chiapensis from Morning Sun beginning also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardw(z6 NJ)

You guys sure got a lot of rain this year. Now you know how we felt with above average rain for almost 2 years straight. At least our rain doesn't create dry brush by late and summer and out of control fires; at least outside the pine barrens where fire is a natural and regular force. I just planted Wild Watermelon this spring and it has just begun to bloom. Glad to hear it will set seed and I'm curious whether any of the seed will lead to new and interesting plants. How big does your Wild Watermelon grow. According to the tag in ideal conditions it'll reach 4X4, is that true?

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 4:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Your garden must be an awesome treat for the eyes! Wow! My plants are just now waking up. Maybe will have flowers in a month.

Bookmark   May 20, 2005 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™