Grass like Sansevieria

norma_2006June 10, 2013

Some one here was inquiring about it, well I found it, thank goodness you inquired, another week and the whole plant would be dead. It is very slow growing, and it needs more water then most San. It was found in a ditch along a road going north from Capetown, peobably got water in the African Winter, which is during our summer. It was given to me from John Gamesby he lost his plant eventually, I sent him a part of mine, give one away and it always be returned. That has been true with with few exceptions. All of you remember that. I gave a piece of a plant to Dale LaForest, and lost mine. when I asked if he had a spare leaf well back it came. I received a plant of 'Fernwood' and when Rogers Weld of Fernwood Nursery lost his which was given to him by Juan Chahinion I gave him one of mine which was green , mine are all gold now with very stiff pointed leaves. I gave away a whole plant of then named 'Patens' all green, well after several years I started offset from leaves they reverted to variegated, it's is still green just the starts I did with it turned variegated. So you never know. The more years your work with this species the more you learn each year. Observe them, other words, take the time to smell the flowers, I find the darnest thing pop up in my garden if I look closely and take the time to observe. I found two ripe seeds today. I wonder what they will turn out to be?. Norma

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Hello Norma,
Good advise.
Stush

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:55PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

so does this grass-like sans have a name?
Laura

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:23PM
barbmock

Laura,

I don't know that this would be the same as Norma's plant, but I see a listing on Bob Smoley's Gardenworld for a grassy looking sans. It's listed as sansevieria T. green Fountain.
Here's what it says:
Thin light green almost grass like leaves making a very attractive hanging basket in time. Only 8-10 inches tall. Hybrid by Alice Waidhoffer.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:02PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

thanks bmock for the information. i might have Bob bring me one to our fall sale.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:54AM
Michaela(z6+ TN)

Its probably Sansevieria gracilis. I'd say you can find pictures of it on 'Google images'.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 2:13PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

I'm growing something named gracilis and I wouldn't say it is "grass-like". Then again it might not be the "true" gracilis.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:07PM
Michaela(z6+ TN)

No Sansevieria is going to have the same flat blades as does grass - like in lawn grass - but gracilis is one of the the shortest sansevierias, and is light green (grass green) in color. Maybe you can post a picture here of your gracilis.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:59PM
barbmock

Also, I have a couple of different parvas that are grassy looking to me. They look similar to a spider plant.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:50PM
norma_2006

I agree mine like it may have parva as paremt it grows like parva, and needs more water then a lot of my others. It sure is a messy grower it took me more then an hour to clean it up, it not going to ever be show quality. The leaves are more narrow then parva,and I have been told that parva grown by the spray of the falls. It started out as miniature. now it grows the same size as parva, which leaves to believe all the more that parva is the mother or father. Norma Lewis

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
new sans
Along with the orchid cactus I picked up this little...
bkempress
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
Hahnii Silver Marginated - rot
I bought Sans. Hahnii Silver Marginated Jan 31, and...
lme5573
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™