Sansevieria in bloom, part 2

badart(z5 Il)June 8, 2004

Taking a closer look at the new found flowers on my Sansevieria I noticed a new detail. At the base of each flower, and in a few spots along the stalk, is a globule of nectar. The taste is oily but sweet, and there is an aroma. I expect this is to attract the attention of some

nocturnal pollinator. A moth? Perhaps a specific moth?

Since it is a night bloomer, and the flowers somewhat obscure, I exposed them to a blacklight to see what the result might be. The anthers glow brilliantly under the blacklight.

Richard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnestsoup

I believe this is known as "extra floral nectar" & is certainly useful in attracting pollinators. Though this nectar is also produced by leaves in some species. Regarding pollinators, certainly mothe seem to be the obvious choice, though as to which ones thats a trick question. Since the natural habitat of Sansevieria ranges from South Africa right up to North East Africa & Arabia (&India) then there must also be a wide range of moth species. Some Sansevierias have a flower which only opens at soil level & it is belived that ants or even small rodents can pollinate.

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 5:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mairzy_Dotes(zone 10)

Well, if it is ants, it wouldn't have to be so picky as to only open at the soil level. The ants around here find their way onto & into EVERYWHERE & EVERYTHING where there is any sticky stuff. Ha. They even carry their cows (aphids & mealy bugs) along with them to high up new leaves to REALLY make me mad.
That floral nectar is also on hoya flowers and I imagine others.
Marcy

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
root in water - not working....
re-potted my oldest Sans a few weeks ago, and kind...
djliquidice
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
What's wrong with my snake plant?
I've been excited to have a snake plant for a while...
Galleriagirl11
Please ID my new Hahnii
I finally found a new Hahnii to bring home - I have...
lme5573
What a difference a little heat makes
just thought I'd share this. In cool, gloomy Oregon,...
kwie2011
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™