help me make the most of my salvia please!

jessie21(zone 5)May 26, 2007

i have one nice blue salvia (it may be may night or something similar) that is about 7-8 years old, has been divided (to give to friends) a couple of times. i just love it and would like to know the best way to keep it blooming and beautiful all summer. it is just beginning to bloom now and will be fantastic in another week or two. i usually just cut fading blooms as i notice them fading. they do bloom again, but not nearly as nicely and brightly. they are kind of scrawny and droopy compared to the first bloom. any suggestions? should i fertilize and if so, when or how often? any special timing or manner of cutting back or is cutting faded blooms all i can do? i know they can look better throughout the summer than mine do. help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

After the bloom is finished try pruning it back a bit, not just deadheading it --- how far I can't say because you don't know the variety.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 12:31PM
jessie21(zone 5)

thank you westelle. i will try that. how about fertilizer? should i use it and if so, when?

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 1:23PM
CA Kate

A little general garden fertilizer wouldn't hurt... kinda like salt & peppering... once a season. I like the kind of fertilizers that dissolve over a long period of time, like Osmocote. (sp?)

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™