Are these seeds going to be ok to save)?

kvalentz(5- NE Ohio)January 1, 2008

Hi,

I grew quite a few varieties of Zinnia this year, and unfortunatly before the seed heads dried, it snowed and froze. My question is, since they didn't fully "mature" and dry before I cut them, are they worth saving to plant next year. My guess is that they have to fully dry on the plant before harvesting but I'm sure most of you know more than me, LOL!

Thank you for your help,

Kathy

Imgardeningagain@aolcom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Kathy,
Becoming mature and totally dry are a bit different. So it is possible for the seeds to have been mature before the snow came and just not totally dry. You would need to bring in the flower heads. If they are wet, let them dry on paper towels. Then you can break them up and look for plump arrowhead shaped seeds. Ones that are thin and bendy never did mature. You might find a lot of those since you believe your flowers didn't have time to fully ripen, but you may get lucky and find good ones. If you find good ones, place them in a paper bag as opposed to plastic to dry more inside your house. Putting them in plastic right away can hold tiny amounts of moisture possible held in/around the seeds and ruin them.
Remy

Bookmark   January 1, 2008 at 10:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kvalentz(5- NE Ohio)

Thank you so much Remy, I will do that.
Kathy

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™