yellowing salvia

jchristy_growerMay 12, 2010

i am new to gardening and desperately trying to learn the many tricks of the trade, one of the plants i recently bought was a salvia (red and white) that has grown quite nicely but now the leaves are beginning to turn yellow. i live in se texas and the heat is turning up and we havent had much rain at all but i water every evening. can anyone tell me if i am watering too much, not enough, or is it just too hot or what. appreciative newbie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Abnormal yellowing of leaves, followed by abnormal amounts of leaf drop might be an indication of root die-off. How loose is your soil, and does it have any humus in it? Leaf mold and finished compost are really good at relieving stress in Salvias.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 11:32PM
hybridsage

Where in SE Texas are you?
What is soil like Clay,Sand Etc..? FYI- my established
S.greggii will start yellowing & dropping leaves
when it gets dry.Here in Central Texas things are drying
out already.So some have began to drop the larger "Rain induced foliage" and started replacing them w/ smaller leaves for better drought tolerance.
The Plant you are describing sounds like S. microphylla
"Hot Lips".Ours is planted in some shade and a well drained mix.We will look forward to hearing back from you.
Art

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 10:34PM
jonopp

watering every day sounds like too much! Especially if you have clay soil/poor drainage...

It seems to me that yellow leaves in many instances can mean over-watering. (sometimes it's iron deficiency, as in citrus)

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™