Salvias have now gone to seed

mboston_gwMay 15, 2006

I have a white and a red salvia that have now gone to seed. I wanted to let them so I could save the seed but now I want to cut them back and have them bloom again. That is possible here in hot Central Florida, correct? I think the names of them are Salvia coccinea (red) and Salvia farinacea (Victoria white). What about Mystic Spires? Can I cut it back now as well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Dead heading on sages will improve their appearances, but will not have much impact on the resumption of growth. To do that, the heads need to be cut off as soon as they are done blooming, so that the plant will put no energy into seed development and ripening.

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 11:50PM
mboston_gw

So are you saying that they won't ever bloom again? I just assumed that they would send up new spikes from where they would be cut. Guess I should have paid more attention to this forum earlier!

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 3:32PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

No, I am saying that to keep plants blooming at their most frequent, you have to cut the old heads off before seeds start to develop. Most sages sold are perennials. Even most sold as annuals are really perennials that die off because they don't tolerate colder seasons. True annuals are monocarpic (bearing seed only once). After they make their usually abundant seed set, they run out of gas and die. These are the only plants that you have to dead head to keep alive.

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 3:59PM
bossjim1

Here in zone 9 Texas, we don't have to let the S. coccinea go to seed. It GOES to seed even if you dead head religiously. As the blooms at the top of the spike are opening, the seeds are popping out of the lower ones. Dead head yours and it will start blooming again.

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 9:20AM
mboston_gw

Thanks, have done!

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Meadow Sage Splaying
The plant looks lovely all the way up to and pretty...
florananny
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
salvia discolor
I have been able to overwinter my salvia discolor in...
duane456
Sponsored Products
Findley Urn Filler
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Salvia Spray
$11.99 | zulily
Purple Salvia Spray
$11.99 | zulily
Live Herb Collection Set
$29.99 | zulily
Findley Wreath
$499.00 | FRONTGATE