Zinnia seeds

natalie4b(7b GA)January 7, 2007

I would love to save zinnia seeds. Last year was the very first one I have planted large kind of zinnias, and kept on deadheading them in order to have more blooms. This year I would like to collect seeds. Do I wait till the flower completely dry? Are the seeds in a very middle of it? I really am clueless, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

~Natalie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nurmey(5 Omaha, NE)

Hi Natalie
Yes you have to let the flower head turn brown and dry before you harvest the seeds. The seeds are kind of flat and dark grey/blackish. To me they look like arrow heads stuck on the end of the individual flower petals. The seeds are on the whole flower head.

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 11:32AM
natalie4b(7b GA)

Brown? The neat freak in me is screaming "NO WAY!!!!" I walk around my garden with manicure scissors trimming off imperfections :-). OK, I will give it a try, since I really want the seeds.
Thank you Nurmey_5. And happy New Year!
~Natalie

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 3:17PM
maineman(z5a ME)

Natalie,

If a wet season is approaching and some of your zinnia heads aren't fully mature (not completely brown) you can cut some of them as an experiment and dry them inside. I have gotten viable seed that way from zinnia heads that weren't completely dead. I have had zinnia seeds sprout in the heads in a wet season, so desperate times call for desperate measures.

But if a threatening rainy season isn't a problem, it's best to do as nurmey suggested and let the flower head fully mature before cutting it.

MM

Bookmark   January 8, 2007 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Seed Saving: Marguerite Daisy
I have a marguerite daisy that is beginning to set...
frugal_gardening
Named variety Echinops true from seed?
Hi, I've been given some seedheads of what I think...
perennial2014
Sponsored Products
Peony & Zinnia Faux Floral Arrangement - PURPLE/WHITE
$375.00 | Horchow
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Prairie Collection Brushed Nickel 1-light Ha
Home Depot
George Kovacs Light Rain Collection 3" Wide Mini-Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Firefly Sculptural Firebowl
FRONTGATE
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Prairie Collection Brushed Nickel 1-light Po
Home Depot
Palermo Graphite Seeded Glass One Light Outdoor Wall Lantern
$140.00 | Bellacor
Squirrel-Proof Birdfeeder with Auger
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Cove Neck Rustic Bronze Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Clear Seeded G
$49.99 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™