seed saving info

dianamtJanuary 13, 2006

I joined this forum a couple days ago, so if I am in the wrong area for this post, would someone please give my directions on which forum I need?

A couple years ago I started growing perennials. I have Canterbury Bells that I grew from seeds, along with jumping jack violas. I am not sure where the seeds are in these flowers. Also, I have Snow on the Mountain. I know that it gets a seed stalk. When do I collect the seeds? The

S on the M seeds are so tiny.

TIA

Diana MT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrbrownthumb(z5 Chicago)

Diana MT,

Sorry I can't be of help with locating these seeds as I've never grown them. But if you still haven't found the answer to your question try the perenial forum or the propagating from seed forum or the wintersowing forum. Those seem to be very active right now.

Sorry I can't be of more help and welcome to GW.

Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 12:02AM
mrbrownthumb(z5 Chicago)

near the bottom of the page is a search field. Type in the name of the plant your looking for and hit enter. I just typed in Canterbury Bells, and there were three results. Maybe you can find your info that way, in this forum or any of the others I mentioned.

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 12:05AM
magus(8a BC)

Canterbury bells (campanula spp.) form seed capsules (after the flowers are gone, of course) that superficially look like small poppy seed heads, and they produce very small seeds that look like small, black to brown to red (Canterbury bells are tan, I believe) flat ovals that look like they have been slightly warped. Each head produces hundreds of seeds.

Violas produce small to medium-sized spherical (more or less) capsules that, when ready, will start to turn brownish and split into three "petals". The seeds are small, white-to-brown teardrops, often with a little white bit at the sharp end. You'd want to collect them as soon as the pods open, because if you don't, as the "petals" dry, they will start to contract and squeeze the seeds until they shoot out like bullets (hence the teardrop shape), and you won't be able to get them.

If the Snow on the Mountain plants you mean are euphorbia marginata, then the seeds should be rather large (relatively speaking), at least 1/8", if I remember correctly.

Good luck, and good collecting!

Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™