Purple Majesty

CA KateMay 6, 2007

I was feeling very lucky this spring after our unusually cold winter, I wasn't seeing that any of the more tender Salvias didn't make it. Now, As I'm cleaning out the monsters I'm finding the dead "bones" of S. guarentica Purple Majesty. Not a one survived no matter where they were planted. Curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youreit

Ahh, that's too bad, Westelle! And curious, I agree. I assume they were established plantings. This was a strange weather year, but I'm thinking it didn't get down to 10F at your house. :)

Brenda

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 8:12AM
CA Kate

No, it didn't get that cold, and some were in protected areas. I was really surprised because other Salvias that are more tender and are more exposed survived just fine.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:35PM
wardda

That is odd. Mine survived the winter of 05-06. It was one of the mildest winters we've ever had but temperatures must have gone lower than what you had this year. After the February and March we had here I don't expect to be so lucky again.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:35PM
wardda

Me too, I used to live in zone 9 and remember what the weather was like. I'm still counting my losses here and haven't given up hope on many of the herbaceous sages like uliginosa, guarantica and a few others that have survived for years here. What surprised me was that some tiny seedlings of what appear to be greggii made it through the winter, the same winter that seems to have done in several years old Wild Watermelon microphyllas.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™