any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?

cousinfloydJanuary 13, 2014

I already posted the following to the vegetable forum, but I thought it would be good to copy here. I'm interested in connecting with other seed savers (particularly of edible crops) in my region. I'm a full-time, very small scale diversified direct-market farmer, farming together with my wife and the help of our children. Garden crops make up about half of the money-making part of our farm activity, covering 2+ acres/year. We try to save as much of our seed needs as we can. Toward that end we don't grow any hybrids, although we've thought about hybrids we could produce ourselves, and we've saved some seed from hybrids and unintentional crosses. I'm definitely interested in normal garden crops, but there are some less common crops that have become much loved staples for our family (roselle, yacons, summer spinach, etc.), and I'm also very interested in normal foods that aren't normally grown on a home scale (grains, oil seeds, pulses, etc.) I've gotten great ideas and advice and new-to-me seed varieties from one enthusiastic seed saver I've gotten to know, and I'd love to connect with others in the region. If you're a seed saver that might be open to sharing advice, talking, swapping seeds, etc., I'd be very happy to hear from you.
-Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mathsucks

If you save hybrid seeds unless you cross the hybrid yourself, it wont be a hybrid, it will be one plant or the other.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 5:03PM
wynnho

I am an hour south of ATL and prefer saving edibles and herbs. Some say I am 7b, others 8.

I'd love to trade. My list is incomplete, but go look. I also have cuttings and some natives that are interesting that may not yet be on that list (which is a work-in-progress).

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 9:58AM
cousinfloyd

Is there any way to access lists or contact each other directly since the change over to Houzz?

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 6:02AM
wynnho

I added my wishlist to my profile as someone else suggested, but I saw no contact link. I almost wonder if the new management intends for this site to become all about commerce and wants to discourage trading. Why else buy a site if they won't make money. But, if the site becomes that, most of us will leave. Perhaps we should all change our 'names' to include our email addresses, a special one set up just to trade. But, then where to list our zone/geographical area? I almost think the new management is testing us to see how many leave before they feel forced to add back our contacts and trade info...they may have to be feel backed into a corner before they do it. The ads will be coming shortly, too, I bet.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™