looking for the seed in sneezeweed

yvette_adams(z5 Quebec)January 4, 2005

Can someone tell me where to find the seed in the flower of helenium, AKA sneezeweed? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northeastwisc(4)

The seeds are a part of the brown/black dome-like center of the flower. They are very tiny (about 1/16th of an inch long) and very difficult to seperate from the chaff. In the link below, the seed is the "fuzzy point" of the dart-like object at the bottom center of the drawing. If you are going to plant them, there's really no need to seperate them from the chaff. Just crumble the "dome" with your thumb and forefinger and spread the seed and chaff mix on your sowing media.

If you are trying to seperate some seed from the chaff for trading purposes, the only way that I've been able to do it is to thoroughly crumble the "dome" on a paper plate and then gently shake the plate to seperate out some seed. The seed is only slightly heavier than the chaff, so it is a long tedious process.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 2:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvette_adams(z5 Quebec)

Thanks Wisconson for your very helpful explanation. IN the past, when sowing the tinier seeds,I have often sown the chaff and seed together as I have very poor eyesight, and have never really had germination troubles doing that. Your link was great...thanks again.

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™