Harvesting basil seeds

jeff_12422January 13, 2011

Any tips on how to harvest basil seeds from plants that have wintered indoors in pots?

Is it even worth it to try to propagate them from seed if they're plants I bought at the grocery store last summer (so not sure if they're hybrids/viable anyway)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Basil doesn't make seed pods. The seeds are nestled in the remnants of the dried up flower head. The seeds are dark, small, round to oval in shape.
If you like the basil you grew, you can definitely grow them from seed. Most Basil(might be all, don't have time to look it up right now) is not hybrid. If you want to have more plants, it is worth it. If you only want one and want to spend the few dollars on a new plant, you can do that too.
Remy

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 8:15AM
gardenunusual(5b)

I bought some basil plants this spring at the nursery, and I also got some seed. The seed I planted was unbelievably easy to germinate, it was lime and a purple basil. I don't even think I watered it much and they sprouted into strong little plants.

I'm missing those plants right now, as I pulled the dried herbs from my cabinet to make sauce tonight...

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 5:27PM
jeff_12422

I know I can wait a few months and get another plant for a few dollars, but I'm in experimentation mode. And my garden is so small (1 4x4 square foot garden bed for now, plus a few pots) that it seems silly to buy a whole packet of seeds when I'm only going to have 2 or 3 plants. So I thought I'd ask. I guess I can give it a try with one of the indoor plants I have, and see how it goes!

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™