Salvia relatives - the orange saturejas...

DariotJr(z9)June 14, 2005

Hi everyone,

I know we all have an addiction to salvias BUT to many of us this addiction spreads also to other mint family members...

after falling for Agastache, Teucrium, Poliomintha and Stachys, I recently discovered there are species of Satureja with orange flowers!

I've "discovered" the following:

S.mimuloides from Florida , which needs lots of moisture and doesn't exactly fit my way of xeriscape gardening here in Athens, Greece.

S.elliptica, which I got to see live in a trip to the Andes of Peru. I would describe it as a small shrub with all of its stem tips covered in orange tubular flowers... hmm.. quite like an orange Poliomintha! there is a picture online somewhere, google satureja elliptica and you'll see it

S.mexicana, my favorite one. I saw this one growing in UCBerkeley botanical gardens (in the mesoamerican section) and was really impressed! more like a "cross" between an orange agastache and a microphylla sage!!! a small perennial shrub full of bright orange flowers. I have a picture of it which I don't exactly know how to post to the forum.

S.guatemalensis (or S.seleriana)...again a shrub with orange flowers, never seen it though... just a pic on the web, which I actually can't find again.

Anyone out there who can contribute any info about these 'subtropical' saturejas? or maybe a source (plants or seeds?)

DJR

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DariotJr(z9)

well, looked around a little and found out how to url link a picture. here is the one I took in UCB

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 2:15AM
crocosmia_mn(z4)

Check out this orange Salvia confertifolia in an English garden:

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 12:05PM
DariotJr(z9)

that's a nice combo for S.confertifolia. I grow it here in Greece too, it gets up to 2m and doesn't stop flowering until the end of December, when we usually get our first low temps.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 3:16PM
whisperingpines(z6)

Where can I buy seeds for Salvia confertifolia? Is it hardy in zone 6? If not, does it act like annual in zone 6?
Thanks for any information.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 2:42PM
DariotJr(z9)

You can buy a plant of S.confertifolia through mail order from Plant Safari, Digging Dog Nursery, Canyon Creek Nursery or Richard Dufresne (A world of Salvias). I don't expect it to be hardy in zone 6 (maybe somedoby esle here has experience with that). But is should grow as a fine annual if you buy a plant early in spring as it grows very fast.
Dariot JR

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 4:21PM
crocosmia_mn(z4)

Check out my earlier posting about Salvia confertifolia in this forum -- I get advice on how to overwinter this plant. My three from Digging Dog are growing well, but nowhere near blooming yet. Here's two more photos I took at the Hot Garden at Bosvigo in Cornwall:

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 8:52AM
helena_z8_ms

Very nice, love those orange Dahlias! My s. confertifolia is far from blooming since I accidentally broke the tip branch (a start from cutting).

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 11:01AM
gerris2

Hi DariotJR,

Thank you for pointing out this genus, I will have to research it. As if I need another plant group to be addicted to hahahahahaha.

Joseph

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
S. clevelandii - Some leaves longer than others
I got a Salvia clevelandii (possibly a hybrid) about...
JohnCox
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™