Very old seeds

crypticfirefly(z5 IL)January 6, 2006

My mother recently found some cockscomb (Celeosia) seeds that my grandmother saved from the last bunch she grew, my mother remembers that they were especially beautiful. She would like to grow them as a memory of her mother.

The thing is, my grandmother never grew those flowers again after my grandfather died--in 1947. The seeds are in a glass jar and have been stored on a basement shelf since at least the mid 70's.

Any hope for these at all? Anything I should do to improve my chances if we do try growing them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magus(8a BC)

58 years is a long time for most seeds, and those seeds are probably no longer viable. But you never know, as some seeds have been known to have survived for over 2000 years. Never hurts to try, I say. You might want to try sowing them in a container outside (a.k.a. wintersowing), which sometimes coaxes older seeds to germinate when the weather warms up. I believe celosia is wintersowable. Split the seeds up for a few different methods, to be sure.

Bookmark   January 7, 2006 at 2:44AM
wanna_run_faster

Yeah, give them a try a couple of different ways. Wouldn't that be special if they would grow! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Bookmark   January 14, 2006 at 7:39PM
gardenlove(z5-6)

Please let us know what happens!..It would be lovely for you to be successful at germinating some of them...Now I want to go out and try growing Cockscomb too..(as if I have all the time and space in the world)...haha...GOOD LUCK!...GarednLove

Bookmark   February 11, 2006 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™