Late June/ Early July Pics

brittie(Houston 9a)July 7, 2012

It's been extremely humid around here for the past couple of weeks, so I haven't gotten very many pictures lately. Here are a few though...

Grande Dame

Lady Hillingdon (my tiny plant)

Fire & Ice

Black Baccara

Archduke Charles- This is the top of my plant (against a six foot fence) since most of the body is out of view due to Pope John Paul II being right in front of it. The heat shrinks the flowers quite a bit.

Mystery Flower- VERY strong, spicy scent. Fragrant Cloud maybe?

Louis XIV- very first flower on my baby plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brittie(Houston 9a)

I forgot to add the extras!

Caterpillar chomping on my flower. We've had SO many lately! This was a weird one though. I tossed him over the back fence (a.k.a. the Caterpillar Relocation Project).

Awesome Blossom Daylily (for those who like them)

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 2:03PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

I love the shape (so angular) of your Fire & Ice and with the large petal sticking out. So interesting to look at.

Grand Dame has the color I adore. Sigh - so beautiful.

Black Baccara looks like the perfect bloom.

But that caterpillar (I have a phobia of them) is HUGE!!! And so hairy!!! Never seen one like it. I'm not scared of that one - it looks so interesting.

Thanks for sharing your garden with us.
Carol

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 3:39PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Thanks for sharing the pics. It is obvious that Fire and Ice and Black Baccara love to pose in front of a camera, isn't it! LOL

Love the caterpillar and butterfly pics.

Kate

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 7:53PM
JessicaBe(5-6 Central Ohio)

I have Grande Dame I have had her for a few months. her fragrance is amazing :)

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 11:53PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Awesome looking caterpillar. That's a great shot of Fire and Ice.
Renee

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 1:26AM
inga007(Ont. 6a)

Love all your blooms, but that caterpillar is a monster.
Fire n ice & Black Baccara, look so velvety.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 9:44AM
brittie(Houston 9a)

Thanks guys! Ugh, the caterpillar was gross. He was huge! I'm a chicken, so I snipped the branch off below him and tossed the whole thing into the field behind my house. We've had quite a few caterpillars, but that was the biggest, and definitely the fluffiest of them all.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 9:52AM
Krista_5NY

Beautiful red roses, all the blooms are lovely.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:53AM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Love your Black Baccara! Can you believe I saw an auction for it on Ebay recently and the bidding was up to over $100??? I know its somewhat hard to come by, but that's just crazy!

Also love the caterpillar, LOL! The first thing I thought when I saw him was "that caterpillar looks like Albert Einstein with his white frizzy hair!" He seems to be enjoying chomping on your rose :) Love the fact that you're nice enough to "relocate" them. I do the same thing, but we didn't have as many this year as other years.

Tammy

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:51PM
nummykitchen

Wow, what great photos and such pretty blooms! I love your Fire & Ice, need to at that to my want list for sure. The lily is lovely, I planted some lily bulbs for the first time this year and can't wait to see how they do. What a funny looking caterpillar!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:57PM
serenasyh(was 5/now Z 8-Kans)

Grand Dame, Fire & Ice, Caterpillar are Grand!!!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 11:36PM
MaryDanielle(5)

I really enjoyed your photos! (I chuckled about your caterpillar relocation project) :)

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:18AM
brittie(Houston 9a)

Tammy, I saw that too on ebay. Crazy! I bought mine from Heirloom last year during the red, white & blue sale (I think). I think the people who bid so much on these roses are just newbies who don't realize they can get the same plant elsewhere for MUCH less money.

Believe it or not though, I'm not in love with Black Baccara (ducks for cover). It starts off pretty, but the flower form ends up being sort of round and boring. It holds its color and lasts forever on the bush though. Since it's still a baby (ish) plant, I haven't been able to cut stems long enough to bring it inside. Hopefully that will help? It has no smell either, and that doesn't help. I don't have any other issues with it though, so it's not going anywhere. Could be one of those roses that I grow to love.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:34AM
bethnorcal9

Wow beautiful pics! Love that hairy guy! I wonder what variety he is?

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 11:43AM
mzstitch(Zone 7b South Carolina)

I love choosing a favorite when someone posts some of thier roses. Today, your mystery rose was my fav until I saw Louis XIV. Wow, that is going to be a beautiful rose, and I just may have to look into getting one myself!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:27PM
harmonyp

Awesome caterpillar and butterfly photos. And the daylily is absolutely gorgeous. Good guess on fragrant cloud - color is spot on, as is description of fragrance.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 11:48AM
seil zone 6b MI

Lovely, Brittie! My Fire n Ice hasn't bloomed at all this season.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 7:22PM
nulty

Spectacular "Grande Dame",..she has a beautiful hue,..and the "Black Baccara",..is special being so dark,..i have a mystery rose similar to your "Fire and Ice",..but not a perfect match,..just red with trace of white,..i like your mystery rose,.. very nice,..as for the poor relocated Caterpillar,..i bet it turns into a stunning Butterfly.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Roses"P"
Now for the Ps... I'm sure this is going to be a very...
bethnorcal9
Randy Scott (A Great White HT)
This beautiful white HT came out in 2008 and we got...
ron_and_susan
Roses "Q"
Not many in this one... QUAKER STAR QUEEN NEFERTITI QUEEN...
bethnorcal9
Reminiscing....
As the snow melts away and springtime draws ever closer.......
aprilscott12
Name that Rose Game! Part 2
Here goes. Thanks Sara for suggesting we keep this...
kublakan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™