?Bitter cucumbers

busy_bee_7tn(7/8TN)February 27, 2009

Having trouble! Last year I used saved seed from my Yamato Extra Long cucumbers of '07. All of the plants yielded short, plump and very bitter cucumbers. It was such a disappointment to go all summer without good cucumbers, and more so because I don't know why. Is there a special way I was supposed to handle the process of saving seed? Did they maybe cross with another variety and it end up affecting all the seed? If so, how should I keep that from happening? Am desperate because I am not finding that cucumber in the stores this year and it looks as thought Ferry Morse is no longer providing the seed. Thanks so much for any help! B.B.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Did they maybe cross with another variety and it end up affecting all the seed?

Taken from the link below:
Separate two different cucumber varieties by at least 1/2 mile to ensure purity. Experienced, home, seed savers can grow more than one variety at a time in a single garden by using hand pollinating techniques.

I see Reimer's seeds has them for sale.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: I n t e r n a t i o n a l S e e d S a v i n g I n s t i t u t e

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 10:14AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Or it may have just been the growing conditions. Bitter cukes, whenever it comes up for discussion on the vegetable gardening forum, are the result on insufficient water.

But the method of saving the seeds shouldn't affect the taste of the fruit they produce unless, as chemocurl said, they crossed with another variety.

Dave

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 6:02PM
busy_bee_7tn(7/8TN)

Rain was not a factor in this case and, the shape was consistently short and rounded- making it seem a cross had happened. I "seem" to remember having used the saved seed the year before and had no problems, thus the confusion on my part. I think the thing to do is just to start over and hand pollinate to be sure of seeds that are true. Since Sue's response, I have printed out the info on seed saving and expect to have some fun trying something new in the garden! Thanks to you both.

Bev

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Swiss Chard Seeds
I wintered over some chard and have some magnificent...
segesvar
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™