Flowering Sans

tropicbreezentJune 13, 2014

My Sans are going to be flowering soon. Their fragrance carries a long way.

Something I hadn't noticed before, along the stems they seem to exude some liquid which attracts ants. Too early to assist with pollination. Can only guess having the ants around is insurance against other insects eating or damaging the developing flower buds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rennet_gw

Neat pics. That extrafloral nectar is, as you say, there to attract ants to defend tender growth. Lots of Sansevierias produce nectar from the nodes of flowering spikes or developing stolons like this one.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 2:20AM
tropicbreezent

Thanks for the explanation. I never really noticed before, until I saw the ant and wondered what it was doing.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 7:13AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Are your blooms opening yet, Tropic?

Doesn't nectar came only from flowers? Could that be guttation? It's a fantastic pic, whatever it is!

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 12:03PM
tropicbreezent

Still not open Purp, but the Dracaenas have been flowering madly and swamping the area with their fragrance.

I couldn't imagine the ant showing much interest if it were just water. So maybe not outright nectar, but something in it that gets the ants interested. Although, there are a number of plants that do have extra-floral nectaries, but I don't know if Sans fall into that group.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 4:59PM
rennet_gw

@purpleinopp
@tropicbreezent

Sansevierias have both floral and extrafloral nectaries.

Tanowitz, B.D. and Koehler, D.L. 1986. Carbohydrate analysis of ï¬Âoral and extra-ï¬Âoral nectars in selected taxa of Sansevieria (Agavaceae). Ann. Bot., 58: 541-545

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 6:06PM

Glad I asked, that's interesting! TYVM for the info. Ants have much more nefarious intentions when they get on my plants, usually to farm aphids/scales, and to excavate the soil for their egg nursery.

Tropic, if you show those Drac blooms on the house plant forum, you should get tons of "ooohs and aaaahs," including from me. Someday I will smell one... hopefully sometime before waiting for scratch'n'sniff monitors to be invented.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 9:50AM
tropicbreezent

The Sans have been flowering the past few nights, there's been sensory overload in the neighbourhood.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 12:03AM
tropicbreezent

There's still new buds forming on my Sans and some still flowering. They've been at it for a fair while now. Usually I get a mass flowering and then they're done for the year.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 8:46AM

Noticed this this morning. My plants were in the ground until being excavated about 3-4 weeks ago to come inside. The light color of the leaves make me think this is one of this years' rosettes that is forming this bloom. It only has 2 leaves and they're so close together, hiding the bottom half of the bloom stalk.

The light is glinting off of some tiny drops of nectar, though it's not sticky if I rub it between my fingers. Looks like it forms where the little flowers attach to the flower stalk. If not for the above convo, I would have never noticed it.

Bookmark   November 18, 2014 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
mushy leaves killing one leaf at a time!
Hello, Im new to this forum and have searched all the...
emarks41
Stretch marks?
I just noticed these little, vertical, scratch-like...
kwie2011
Why did one of my snake plants leaves develop a hole in it?
I went to water one of my snake plants and at the top...
tlbean2004
New Sans, need ID please!
I purchased 3 new Sansevieria today, and need a little...
greybird_keke
Cerus peruvianus questions
Notice the white color,is it natural or maybe underwatered...
spikef35
Sponsored Products
Laura Gunn 'Color Study VI' Oversized Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Spring Mountain Flower Spray
$10.99 | zulily
Crosley LaFayette 48 in. Corner TV Stand - Classic Cherry Multicolor - KF10006BC
$399.00 | Hayneedle
"Love & Romance" Vase
$100.00 | Horchow
Wildwood Lamps Cast Brass Light Bronze Patina Wavy Glass Flower Holder Vase
$296.70 | LuxeDecor
Finders Keepers Blue 18-Inch Square Throw Pillow
$32.99 | Bellacor
Antalia Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Pre-owned Saarinen Style Tulip Table and 4 Chairs
Chairish
People viewed this after searching for: