Germinating Pansies

flower_addict(z6 PA)February 25, 2005

Hello again! Forgive me. I should have posted this question with my posting on evening primrose. Anyway, I am having the same issue with wanting to germinate pansy seeds. It states that they require darkness to germinate. What does this mean? Has anyone had any luck germinating pansy seeds and is willing to share their advice with me?

Thank you!

Kristin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_z9(z9 CA)

I've never used darkness for pansies, and they germ just fine, barely covered, shady cool spot. If in doubt, I suppose you could cover flat w/damp newspaper or some such. Patty

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 4:40PM
Florazone9(z9bsTX)

I too have never had any luck germinating them. Do they need a cold spell? I had them good fortune one year to find the most amazing pansy seed colors at a big lots, but they just did not come up. I put all the seed in the dirt so I had none left to try again. I no longer do that. I try a few only in if they germinate, great I have seed for the next time. or at least to try another method. flora

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 3:22PM
Ferry_Tavern(z5b MA)

Hello,
I've never set out to germinate pansies, but year before last, I neglected to pull out the pansies in my flower boxes. They went to seed, and sure enough, pansies popped up all over the garden area near the boxes. At first I thought they were weeds and started pulling them out. They came up again this year, and were blooming in the snow in February! So, I guess they can't be too difficult to grow, and probably don't require darkness? They seem to be speading after I let the new ones go to seed last year instead of pulling them out when they look tired. Shelley

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 3:58PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

All this talk about fall-sowing and self-sowing is making me think we sometimes work at it alot harder than we need to! It is certainly making me rethink some of my methods.

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™