Need help on keeping seeds True

longknife(4 Way Upstate NY)February 15, 2011

If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following year and want them to be as true as possible, how does one go about this when more that one variety are growing in close proximity? Any tips on seed collecting or special techniques? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
Collecting petunia seed is easy. The seed pods are small and teardrop shaped. They turn light brown and get crisp when ready to harvest the seed. The seed is very small and dark.
I'm not sure about distance, but I'm going to assume it is fairly far, and if you wish to save seeds should only grow one variety. Remember though that many varieties of petunias sold are hybrids and will not come true from seed. So only grow an open pollinated variety if you wish to save seed.
Remy

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wynnho

I can tell you that a neigbhor, an old woman, has the same petunia patch of mixed colors year fter year. You'd think the colors would all become the same after so many years, but she still has pink, pure white, and lavender. I think thiws is a very old-fashioned type, though. When they paved are orad and thus stirred up old soil, that type of old petunia sprouted up (over a mile from the old woman). There were a few colors there, too. I mananged to kill the seed and cuttings I saved. Dang it. The white ones, though, even overwintered a few years in a protected spot agianst the concrete foundation of the house.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™